MK3 MX5 - Original Springs or Eibach 30mm

I fitted Eibach pro springs and KONI sports to my first 2006 1.8 MX5. It was a little longwinded as i had the Eibachs fitted to replace a snapped spring. Those wiped out the original dampers (non sport) within a very short time and I pulled the trigger on the KONI yellow ones with adjusters on top. That was excellent.

I was going to fit these to my current 2011 Sport Tech as that has never been right but the cost of the eibach springs and Koni Sport dampers wasn’t that far away from Meister R and I ended up with those.

i have to say the original Bilstein sport setup is horrible, i’ve had 2 now with that setup on, one with very low miles and in my opinion isn§t as good as the non Bilstein setup on the 1.8 car.

Hope that’s of some help

1 Like

I need to do something. Driving home in a spirited manner round a nice curve with grooved road surface and bloody car skipping all over the place. Felt really unsettled.

Hmm, just a couple of thoughts, and I may have missed the info elsewhere, but
1.how old are the tyres?
2. are they the same make and age on each corner?

Mine did this until I replaced the six years old OEMs, then suddenly it was planted.

Rear tyres new. Front good and matched on axles.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but have you checked the tyre pressures with a decent gauge? When I bought a previous NC1, first thing I did was swap to a new set of wheels, using the ‘as new’ tyres. Fitters,despite my asking for 29 psi all round, put an average of about 38 in. I understand getting the tyre to sit in the bead and all that but I didn’t check and car was as you describe, awful. Wasn’t until a few days later I did check, reset correctly and car transformed! Just a thought as you mention new tyres on rear :thinking:

Barrie

2 Likes

Digital gauge. 29 all round. Still suspect suspension hence pondering lowering springs or a budget set of coil overs My NB is much more planted and confidence inspiring, as was my Eunos. Just detracts from a fun drive when it skitters around bends or going over man hole covers.

1 Like

iI’ve not tried them but these seem like a good way to get going.
MeisterR Sportive Coilovers - 2005 to 2015 Mazda Miata / MX-5 (NC) - MeisterR High Performance Suspension & Coilovers.

Indeed. There are lots of coil over. Tein seem a lower priced option. I was going the lowering spring route but thinking now if the dampers are original they are prob tired and with spring plus new dampers this would cost more than a set of coil overs. Decisions. Decisions.

1 Like

Yeah it’s the dampers that are making your car float around (my guess is well before you snapped a spring) so even if you had decent OEM springs just changing to lowered ones will still be horrible,

1 Like

So you are suggesting the coil over route?

1 Like

Decent ones yes.

He meister r entry ones look good. No experience of them just the more expensive ones though.

Eibach pro springs with koni sport dampers were great on my other mx5. Ow have meister r club sports. Not had an alignment yet but it’s already excellent

Sorry that suggestion wasn’t helpful. The more responses you get, hopefully will nail it! Fingers crossed for you.

Barrie

On the contrary all suggestions are helpful if only to eliminate things. Thanks

1 Like

Took the NB for s drive earlier. So much better than the NC at the moment. Just chuck it into a bend and around it goes. Maybe I should keep it. Nah. Too late i have sold it.

Tyres vary.
It would seem unlikely that every tyre on the market is optimal at 29psi

Interesting comment there. Any actual info to back that up? I’ve wondered about that myself, however, there are that many variables with tyres, how would you even know where to start? The same size tyre with same speed and load ratings, will be fitted to many different cars, all with different weights etc. Would (or should) the tyre be inflated differently for each application? The handbook leads you to recommended pressures. Now is that only if fitting OEM spec tyres? What if that tyre is no longer available? Think I’ll just stick with 29psi for now. Over to those in the know.

Barrie

Tyre manufacturers often have their own recommended pressures for specific cars.
Try looking up your tyres on their website and see if they have recommended pressures for the MX5.
It may well be 29 all round but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it’s not.

1 Like

Thanks but I’m happy with what I have :grinning:

Without getting too far into it, perhaps you should be looking yourself? As you raised the point?
Barrie

I suppose in answer - if you are minded to, you could lower them by 1psi and drive for a bit, then a bit more, until you then raise them above where you first started. As long as you take it easy. But it is probably a long winded exercise and having different pressures front and rear may also be better. however whilst manufacturers obviously do these exercises, for an individual on the road it is probably not viable - or wise…

1 Like

Just looked on Michelin’s site, says 29.02 psi for my ND’s Pilot Sport 4s

1 Like