MK3 NC - Looking For Wheel Size Help/Advice

1. My model of MX-5 is: __
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

I’m thinking of changing my stock 17" NC wheels but I’m getting a bit confused with all the choices, not just styles/colours/weights etc but sizes also.

I want to stick with 17" and only want a subtle difference in appearance just something that sits a little wider than stock so was thinking ET45 so 10mm difference. Either sticking with a 7" rim same or probably 7.5" as there’s more choice, but then I found some wheels that were 7.25" wide which only confused matters more!

Can anyone tell me which will be stick out more between a 7.25" rim with an ET40 offset or a 7.5" rim with an ET45 offset? Also, with regard to rim widths where does the extra width sit, is it on the back/inside of the wheel or the front, or is it spread equally front and back???

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Put your sizes in this calculator and it will show you.

1 Like

It says the 7.25 @ 40 offset will stick out 1.8mm more than the 7.5 @ 45 offset

1 Like

That’s brilliant cheers :+1:

This is what you need

https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Parts/MX5/Wheels-Tires.html

In the end I went with an 8x17 et42 and will run a 215/45, but my car will be lowered so the additional negative camber available will help me clear the arch lips and a light roll may be necessary but worth it for that flush look.

A friend of mine runs 7.5x17 et45 on 215/45 and it’s a decent fitment and apparently very common. I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing this pic.

1 Like

Thanks for that :+1:

Sorry I posted what I thought was the best link :man_shrugging:t2:, it’s this one.

Cheers Dean