Mk3 NC power upgrade

I few years ago I put Meister R coilovers, RX7 yellow dot ARB’s and ploy mounts on the suspension and it’s handling is great.

But I believe it could handle more power, it has a healthy 2.0 with around 65k miles on the clock, is this engine to old to go for say a 180bhp upgraded.

If yes then which Roddisons, BliNK, BBR?

I’m also thinking of fitting the GC fabrication roll bar as I will use it for track days - is this an easy DIY job?

Thanks in advance

It will be absolutely fine, keep fresh oil in it and topped up and you won’t have any issues

Hello Beaky
My choice Roddisons. Paul has upgraded a 2006 MK3 & my 2014 MK3.75 Sport Tech Recaro. Great service & I am very pleased with the results.
Regards
Keith

1 Like

I’ve got a GC Fab rollbar in my 2006 NC, fitted it myself, with no instructions, Grant (GC Fabs owner) hadn’t got the video of the installation finished at the time. I was going to go back and see Grant to help with the refitting of some of the bits (GC Fabs is 15 mins from me), but in the end I persevered.

Allow a few days to get it all done, stripping out the old roll hoops takes some time with all the internal panels. Fitting the rollbar was pretty straightforward once everything is out. Putting the internal panel back in is a different matter, in short it’s a pain in the ass. Quite a few pieces have to be cut out to get the panel back in and access isn’t easy with the new rollbar in to get the rear panels fitted.

If you’re not putting the panels back in it’s easy, making it look similar to what was there before, quite hard.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I had my 2.0 engine rebuilt by Scholar engines in Suffolk (1/2 mile from me), it’s now performing beautifully, but I’m thinking of fitting a 4 branch de-cat manifold, which releases around 20hp, but more importantly improves the torque lowdown. The O2 sensor has to be moved back, but apparently it still makes legal emissions. I looked at forced induction (I had Cosworth supercharger in my previous GT86) but decided to stick with the NA route and just make it breathe better.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Depends where you live to be honest.
The fast road package from Skuzzle Motor Sport is excellent. :+1:
https://www.skuzzle.com/category-s/164.htm

Hi Keith; I’ve got the same 2014 car as you so wondering just what it was Roddisons did for you (turbo, cams or just the 190 mods?) and what was your outcome?

best wishes
John

Hello John

2014 Sport Tech Recaro; Paul did the following, 4 branch manifold without a 1st cat, complete exhaust system with 200 cat, passes MOT, get it really hot.
ECU adjusted by Clive at Autotronix (Paul uses Clive for MK3 ECU work).
When I bought the car from Paul October 2018 the previous owner had fitted Tein
suspension, Paul carried out full alignment & corner weighted the car.
I cannot remember the exact BHP it goes well enough & importantly pulls well from
2.5k rpm & even better from 3.5k rpm.
I avoided the forced induction route, my preference; for Paul to fit a 2.5 litre
naturally aspirated Mazda engine…I am contemplating this route when Covid 19
is less prevalent.
Your best bet is to chat with Paul he has a wealth of knowledge.

Regards

Keith

1 Like

Thanks Keith; that’s broadly what I’ve done myself since getting the car ex demo and almost-new in 2014 so now with Meister-Rs, better sway bars, Racing Beat de-cat manifold plus re-map by BLINK

Much as I’m happy with all this I still miss the huge torque of my old Morgan and like you, wonder if a 2.5 engine may be an option. I’ll follow your career with interest

best wishes

John

Hello John

A few other modifications I forgot to mention, all fitted prior to my purchase by the
previous owner:- Royal improved steering wheel, RX8 front & rear ARB’s,
subtle front carbon fibre splitter, rear boot carbon fibre spoiler.

I did consider having a centre exit exhaust system made as per the Jota, which is what
the Sport Tech Recaros were destined to be, however the £30K price tag meant few Jota sales, the cars I believe 48, were sold as Sport Tech Recaros.
What colour is your your car?

Paul Roddison advised against the centre exit exhaust on noise grounds & severe
droning at motorway speeds.

Stay Safe

Keith

1 Like

Mine’s silver, fairly commonplace colour but hey, it’s mine and I dream

Hi Beaky
I had about 75k miles on my 07 NC 2.0 when I got the BBR 180 system fitted. Rolling road showed the engine to be in pretty good condition and modifications achieved about a 25 bhp increase. Expensive choice but there are other options available. As per previous posters the engine is pretty reliable so long as the oil level is maintained.

1 Like