Mk3 NC Roadster engine remap

There you go, you got the same as me, I’ve done the reviews ?? This info is dyno checked and agreed, the company has been going for years and offer a guarantee. You pays your money and take your chance, I suppose.

1 Like

These aren’t the figures I got with my 2.0L 2008 NC.

Indeed………. If these gains can be had on a normally aspirated engine with no hardware upgrade then BBR, Rodders, Blink, Skuzzle etc etc. have been getting it wrong for years or misleading their customers which I doubt. I think ‘chipping’ companies can give you a great power upgrade on a turbo car that is de-rated when in stock form and I would bet that is precisely what the vast majority of their more favourable reviews are based on.
Beware flashy marketing and assertions about dyno testing without open access to scrutinise their results. Every car is different, some make more power when modded than others but I wouldn’t believe anything that wasn’t proven by a before and after dyno run.
Without being harsh I think this smells of misleading flashy marketing designed to trap the credulous hoping for a low cost fix that doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

Good advise.

I’ve sent Superchips a message via their website questioning their power claims for my car…let’s see if I get a response.

It will be interesting to hear what they say. I’d be surprised if they agree their figures are wrong.

Just for curiosity I put in my Audi A3 registration. Claimed BHP 138. According to Superchips their ‘actual tested’ showed 154 bhp. I’ll stick with that. 16bhp for £0? Best money I’ve (not) spent.
Edit. Just recalled that the later versions of the 1.4 were rated at 150bhp, so maybe one of those was tested.
JS

1 Like

Most German (in particular) manufacturers seem to be conservative with their claimed power and torque figures.
My last car was rated by BMW at 335hp/369lbs ft, but on a dyno well known for being honest, before any mods, but carefully run in, (2500m iirc) was consistently showing 360-365hp/390/395lbs ft.
Apparently it wasn’t uncommon, and they have seen 370/400 from the same model as std.
After a very mild and ‘safe’ re map it had c400hp/440lbs ft, and was by far the best engine / gearbox combo I’ve ever owned. It even averaged well over 30mpg during my time with it, which was a bonus.

Like I said used Superchips in the past and like the fact they quote what the standard figures they are getting from the car prior to remap rather than quoted figures for the car thus making their quoted gains slightly less.:+1:

£250 for 46bhp, bargain of the century. Mercedes AMG should have probably put a call in last Monday, but I suspect Honda beat them to it a few weeks back!

2 Likes

The numbers I had was £244 for 17bhp.

It’ll be interesting to Dyno before and after. They pay if the figures aren’t true!

Bet they won’t take that challenge

Superchips has just phoned me and I had a pleasant chat with a boss. The figures are wrong and they’re looking into the website to see what other anomalies are present. SC was taken over early last year and apparently now operate solely via mobile fitters. They’d expect a 16/18 bhp increase for the 2.0 engine.

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me/us with the information. I still might go ahead with a remap; and if I do, I’ll let you know the outcome.

1 Like

A remap will make the car feel different as the standard Mazda map restricts power in 1st and 2nd (definatley on the 2.0 not sure about the 1.8)

Definitely keep us informed,it would be something I’m interested in if the money didn’t need spending elsewhere rust rust rust !!