Mk3 pesky air vents-removal

I bought a set of chrome air vent balls from Mx5 parts and I researched how to remove the present ones, or I thought I did! Spent nearly 2 hours trying to get the vents out, resulting me pulling the centre ball out leaving , what I think is the outer silver ring in place which I can’t budge, the more I try the more damage I am doing.

I’m at my wits end now can anyone help?

Instructions for pre 2009 (NC1) cars to remove the facia panel that contain the air vents.
Remove the two triangular panels, at the base of dash centre where the radio sits, one each side. These prise out towards you, once out you will see a screw each side which holds the radio in. Remove the screws and you should be able to pull the radio forward with a firm tug each side just a couple of inches . This will reveal two screws holding the facia panel in behind the upper part of the radio. One more screw to remove, this is up under the dash above the glove box opening. You can feel for it to get a Phillips screwdriver on it, the glove box just pops out to get access.
Once you get to this stage the facia panel then prises out with care, you’ll need a thin blade or panel removal tool. Take care when you reach the thinner part of the panel near the centre. The small panel right of the driver that just prises out, no screws holding it.
You can then see how the vents are held in with screws at the rear, hope this helps.

A warning, you may have a security bolt (10mm) holding the radio in preventing it sliding out. If so it obviously needs to be removed. If you search YouTube Mazda MX-5 NC radio removal you should find instructions how to get at this but try first without doing this, not all cars may have the bolt installed.
Shout up if more guidance needed.:+1:

When refitting the radio unit, make sure all plugs are pushed fully home. There have been a few audio problems where the fault has been a plug that’s was not fully home and had worked loose.

Richard.

Thank you - a lot more work than I anticipated.

It’s one of those jobs that sounds like a lot but is not. The insides of these cars really does come apart easily. Might take you a little while at first but once you are familiar with the job it takes no time. A Phillip’s screwdriver and a plastic pry tool of some kind (a tape wrapped screw driver or a loyalty card will do in a pinch) is all you will need.

once you have removed ALL the screws and are ready to lever out the facia panel …STOP. the easiest way is to then thread thin wire , string or use a bent hook to pull out the vents ( as you would in a mk1 ) …then the facia comes with them , causing no tool mark damage to the decorative facia panel
HTH

2 Likes

Good tip. Will give it a go next time

Good tip Bally, I know you’ve had yours out too many times, like me.:grin:
The facia I mean.:+1::roll_eyes:

1 Like

i use this to pull out the vents ( and facia comes too )

1 Like

Job done! I followed your instructions to the letter and was surprised how easy the job was, mind you, I held my breath when prying the facia away, but it came.

Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Thanks

J Cav

2 Likes