Mk3 power mods

I’ve read on the miata forum that the NC can get a significant power bost by getting the engine parameters tweeked

Can anyone recommend someone who has experience tuning a NC?

I don’t want to go down the forced induction route and want to keep my car naturally asperated

Hi Taff, it’s fair to say we have far more experience tuning the NC than anyone else!

Don’t believe all you read on forums, yes, gains are achievable remapping the ecu when mechanically STD but peak BHP gains are minimal (it’s all about the power curve its self). With a manifold and custom remap a 20BHP gain is normal, a good 2.5” manifold back exhaust will give a further 5BHP gain (but only when the manifold has been changed). The STD airbox is very good and no power gains (only a loss of torque and gain in induction noise) can be achieved from changing it, be very careful of companies suggesting otherwise.

For further power gains forced induction is really the only sensible option, we have tuned the NC in NASP form to 210BHP, this requires huge amount of work (engine internals, cams, intake manfold), it does not make a very nice road car at all and even our most basic turbocharged conversion would embarrass it!

Please feel free to call and discuss.

Neil

We are hoping to get the manifold and mapping done by Paul Roddison, in the near future.Quick question if i may Neil. We have an IL Motorsport backbox, which came on the car when we bought it, would we need to change this, especially if we go for the 2.5" exhaust.

Taff
I believe Paul is taking a Mk3 to the Sandringham bash at the weekend, with the manifold and ECU mods on the car, if you are going it would be a worth having a test drive, thats what i am hoping to do anyway.

Kev

quoted from post #2

we have tuned the NC in NASP form to 210BHP, this requires huge amount of work (engine internals, cams, intake manfold), it does not make a very nice road car at all and even our most basic turbocharged conversion would embarrass it!”

is Neil referring to his own super200 mod here?

My IL Motorsport back box and BBR manifold sounded awesome but in reality too loud for a 50+ driver, tunnels were a real hoot though!

nothing wrong with that for 50+!

what would be wrong is if you got one of those awful ridiculous bass box music systems!!!

if so then yes you should be shot at dawn! (regardless of age) 

My IL Motorsport back box and BBR manifold sounded awesome but in reality too loud for a 50+ driver, tunnels were a real hoot though!

[/quote]
  AGEIST REMARK

Prefer to listen to my Cobra race backbox than any radio or boombox 

Considering a manifold, mid pipe with sports cat and a remap - does the bbr midpipe have the required bung for the oxygen sensor? Will the manifold and midpipe link up to my cobra?

Having grown up with cherry bombs, noisy cars and jap bikes, Harley’s with open pipes and most recently before my latest 5, a triumph triple with a race can and a sensational overrun crackle - I love loud !