Mk3 roof motor

1. My model of MX-5 is: mMk3 Kuro Roadster__
  2. I’m based near: aDunon, Scotland__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ROof motor alarm.

I have an alarm sounding from the rear of the car. No flashing indicators or usual horn sound.

I understand this my be due to the age off the car - and a battery in the roof motor / controller becoming exhausted??? Is any one familiar or aware of this problem.

If so will be delighted to hear,

All the best to all,

Rob

PS. When the car is left unlocked the problem does not recur?

The only bleeping sound I’m aware of is the one coming from the dashboard when the car sense’s something is wrong with the PRHT operation. If the alarm is definitely sounding at the rear it must be connected to something else. I’ve assumed your roof is working okay as you’ve not mentioned that. A battery that is low on power can upset the PRHT operation and trigger it’s alarm. Might be an idea to get that checked with a drop test.

Roof motors, there are four and they use the main vehicle battery.
(How old is the main battery?)

Have you left a mobile phone or similar device in the car, ( dongle, iPad etc) ? This can upset the vehicle alarm.
Is the alarm sounding immediately after the car is locked? Is it the same wether you use the remote (buttons on the key) to lock the car or the key in the door? Have you tried disabling the interior movement sensor on the alarm using the remote control ( think you have to push lock button 3 times within 20 seconds of locking the car, then you will hear a chirp from the car. Think that right, double check in the owners manual ).

Does the roof operate ok with the alarm sounding or refuses to open/close?
As mentioned, how old is your main car battery?
Is it a permanent sound each time you unlock the car or intermittent?

Although I have a PRHT I’m uncertain if they have batteries for the roof operations.:thinking:

Thank you for your prompt and helpful responses. Also apology for typos in previous post.

• the car battery is 100%

• roof is operating normally.

• the alarm is coming from the rear of the car and is similar but much louder than that which sounds from the dashboard when the roof is operating.

• I have found an internet post which suggests there is an alarmed motor inside a removable panel behind the drivers seat? Not yet investigated that.

• car has been left unlocked and so far no recurrence of problem.

• -any thoughts welcome.

As and when resolved I will post detail of the fix in case anyone else has the same issue.

Regards,

Rob

It sounds like you have a problem with the wires to or the back up battery in the alarm sounder.

Have just used the search facility on this web site and come up with this

Thanks Coconino for your response and time spent.

Looks as if the issues are narrowing….

Kind regards and thanks

Rob

Reversing sensor beeper (from the location of the noise) playing up in some way?

1 Like