MK3 Seat woes

Morning all,

So the cloth seats in my MK3 have finally given up in the usual fashion and are looking a bit poor to say the least.

I’m having a massive issue trying to get hold of decent replacements, either cloth or leather - they just seem to be impossible to find in good condition.

Can anyone suggest anything? Equally, what’s the cost of having them reupholstered, and can anyone make a recommendation?

I went to Cheshire Car Trim in Macclesfield 07760 222 057 or 01625 425111. They repaired the driver’s seat on my 2003 MK2.5 which had very tired foam and a small rip in the side fabric. Completed the job in a morning while I went for a stroll, but charged quite a lot.

I had previously visited AutoTrim in Denton (just outside Manchester). They also said they could do a similar job (and would have been cheaper). went with Cheshire Car Trim because it was easier for me to get there and back on public transport if necessary - it wasn’t.

The seat doesn’t look very different but is noticeably less of a pain in the rear on a long drive

Have a look on Seat surgeons site, they are based in York. Expensive but nice, choose your material/colour, don’t know if they do cloth.
There’s a breaker near Derby, I visited around 3 years ago and they had seats for sale, cloth too. PM Sports Cars, Shardlow.

Trouble is your only going to get worn secondhand naturally, just depends how badly worn they are. Sellers seem to want too much these days for your average condition seats, look into a recover it maybe more cost effective in the long run.

PM Sportscars did re-covered leather seats on an exchange basis a few years ago, from memory a guy in Wales did them for them - I had a pair fitted while I waited for £450 and they were really good quality.

Failing that, they usually have a few used ones in varying condition

I can from experience state that the dismantling of a seat to repair or replace the cover is a PITA job.

I personally purchased a passenger side used car seats from Germany (fleabay) and used it to replace the torn panel in the original drivers seat, a local seamstress completed the sewing for me.

Foam plumped with steam injection.

Totalled at about £100 in the end, moral of the story is; buy a good set of used seats for £200 and your on the right side.
The stripping and reassembly took me most of a day to get right.

1 Like