Mk4 2.0 or a 1.5

Hi could anyone give me some advice on buying a 2.0 or a 1.5 mk4 MX5 I’m looking to purchase a 2017 /2018 .

Yes… Do it.

Some good discussion on this thread: https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst115818p4_Mx5-shortage-or-sales-pat.aspx?= 

Inventory (for new) is limited at the moment, used market there are plenty.

I have both, they have similarities and differences and the only way to tell which is best for you is to drive both, then decide.  Other people’s opinions are just that, opinions.

Another recent thread on this very question here:

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst114544_Too-many-choices.aspx

I’ve had both and found the choice quite simple, if you intend to do a lot of cruising / motorway driving then 2.0 for the extra grunt otherwise the 1.5 is freer revving and excellent for the twisties.

Fair comment.  Gearing’s actually pretty similar - identical actually bar the small difference in tyre size, about 2.5%. 1.5 does 24.6mph/1000rpm in 6th, 2.0 does 25.2mph.  So it’s really about top gear acceleration which is going to be much better in the 2.0.  You will be changing down on motorway inclines if you need to accelerate in the 1.5.

You can never have too many horses !

That depends.   It can lead to a mentality of brute power over efficiency of design to achieve a result.  The more you have the more they cost purchasing, in running costs and insurance, whether they’re equine or power measurement, and two trained/well utilized ones are better than six untrained badly/utilised ones.

Just back from a week in Devon in my 2.0 ND1 160PS (Pre uprated engine) and it performed faultlessly and pulled like a train over around 1200 miles.

Highlights included going up a 20% hill in fourth and have the dash display telling me to change up to fifth.

On the journey home the satnav told me the final 50 miles of motorway and mainly dual carriageway A roads would take an hour. It only took 50 minutes. Admittedly the speedo appears to be faulty as at times it was registering 85-90 and I would never speed. Fuel consumption on that part of the run was 45.4mpg. Earlier part of the run at lower speeds due to traffic it showed 48.9mpg.

So I’d say my 2.0 ND has everything for me. Power, torque, drivability and economy.

I’ve not included fun in that list because hand on heart I can’t really say it’s significantly more fun than my old 1.6 NA.

Very few people regret buying ANY MX-5.

Virtually everyone that does buy one regrets not buying one sooner. 

1 Like

Totally agree with that statement!

Bob Hall is a former American motoring journalist best known for his work as an automotive product planner.

Hall is best known as a founder member of the development team who produced the MX-5.

He said this.

“If you can’t drive fast with 90 hp, then 900 hp will not help you.”

We sold our 17 year old mk2.5 3 months ago and got a mk4. I test drove both 1.5 and 2.0ltr. The first car I test drove was the 1.5, and I was that impressed I almost did not bother driving the 2.0 ltr. However decided that “while I was there…”, so took the 2.0 litre out for a spin.

I decided I preferred the 1.5 and we ended up buying a new one which we have had for 3 months.

It’s very much a personal preference, but I found the 1.5 a “lighter” feel, much more like our original mk1 and mk2. The 2.0 ltr definitely had more “grunt”, but part of the fun is changing gear!

I am an older driver (wrong side of 60), and for me the 1.5 gives a more lively ride and is plenty fast enough while also quite tractable, (hardly ever go over 3000rpm). The car is a little cheaper as is insurance and we are getting 55mpg actual…we hardly ever do any motorway work, and I never exceed speed limits, so a 2.0ltr for me is a little OTT.

Depending on your driving style and desires you probably need to test drive both and formulate your own preference.

…and as per the above the main thing is to just get one! (We have been MX5 'ing for 20+years and it has been nothing but fun!!..can’t imagine not having one!!

Sums it up for me too!  I bought the 2.0l 30AE on a whim and it’s a great car BUT I enjoy driving my 1.5l SE-L more for the same reasons as stubod!

…2 MX5’s…now there’s greedy :) 

…how on earth do you decide which one to use!!..I would spend half my time trying to make my mind up!

At the recent National Rally, I think somebody asked ‘Tom’ Matano, designer of the NA, about power. I can’t remember the exact question, but Tom’s reply was very quotable:

“These cars are not meant to have 300 horse power”.

Yes he’s greedy, and very lucky! There’s a question I want to ask Countryboy but not yet. Although I’ve never met Roger we’ve had plenty of online chats over the last couple of years and I know he loves his 1.5. His 30AE purchase was a real surprise and a very quick decision and obviously as with any new car that any of us buy there’s real excitement in the early days. What will be really interesting is how he feels about the two cars in a few months time. I know quite a few people have two MX-5s but it’s usually a Mk1 and a Mk3 or 4. Roger is in the unusual (unique?) position of having two Mk4s, the lowest power 1.5 ND1 and the highest power 2.0 ND2.

So Roger, the question that you’ve got until after Christmas to think about is, when you go out to the garage which one do you choose and why?

OK so that’s probably two questions if you are being pedantic, which you usually are, but then again so am I.

The answer my friends is blowing in the wind surprisingly easy!  My driving route is the same every trip, with a few exceptions (Paul you know why) so all I do is take them out in turn, I don’t want one to feel neglected, sulk and throw a wobbler which puts us in the ditch.  As mentioned before, they have their similarities and their differences, and those differences are enough to keep me on my toes and realise that I can’t become complacent when driving them, they each have their own character!  The two biggest differences are:- in sheer power, the 2.0l with 184ps has 41% more than the 1.5l with 131ps! and suspension, for while I’ve had both cars lowered with the Eibach Pro Sport springs the 1.5l has only the standard suspension and open diff., the 2.0l has the stiffer sports suspension and LSD so the “Feel” of each is very different to that of the other.

Quote: and as per the above the main thing is to just get one! (We have been MX5 'ing for 20+years and it has been nothing but fun!!..can’t imagine not having one! Unquote:

I’ve owned several over the years, 

1 X mk1 1.8

5 X mk1 1.6 (including an auto)

1 X mk3 1.8 roadster 

1 X mk3.5 2.0 PRHT (current car)

They have all been enjoyed when sat in the garage, worked on, modified or driven. I’m in the same camp, can’t really imagine not having one TBH.  Not ventured into the realms of a mk4 yet but who knows? I’m sure I would enjoy either engine variant but possibly in different ways. Anyway, an interesting thread!

Barrie