Mk4 2016 ND recommendations for tyres

My model of MX-5 is: 2016 ND
I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: tyre replacements
Current original Yokohama Advan Sport V105. 195/50R16 84V
This is my daily car so tyres would need to be a good all rounder.
Thanks

I can recommend Kumho…

cue the debate and of anything that is at the cheaper end of the tyre market.:grin:

I suggest you do a search of previous posts re tyres and make your own mind up.

Just to say I liked the Rainsports too but the Kumho won me over more recently when I needed some fitted.

2 Likes

Ok thanks, I’ll see what I can find

Tyres and their choice are one of the subjects that inflame passion here such that you might see handbags at dawn taking place…

Personally on my ND 1.5 I replaced the Advans with Kumho Ecsta HS51 195/50 R16 V (88)

1 Like

PS4 every time

1 Like

Ha ha
Thanks Ian.

I had Kumho on mine (in fact MickAPs old car) and changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4

There is quite a difference, car is more stable and sharper in my opinion.

I never had a problem with the Kumho, in fact any matched mid range brand should be fine for day to day use.

I can’t get Michelin PS 3 or 4 for my wheel size
Options are narrowed to
Michelin Primacy 3 or Cross Climate 2
Continental Ecocontact 6 (more road noise)
Kumho were an option, good in the wet not so.much in the dry.
Goodyear efficient grip performance 2

I’m thinking cross climate 2 or Goodyear perf 2, and if I need a summer set can get those in April

The goodyear are very good (have them on my Yeti as a summer tyre)

Cross Climate which I have on the wife’s car is also very good, fairly capable in the snow too although outright I don’t think they are quite as good as the Goodyears in Summer.

Depends if you want to change to summer/winter combination or not, for most people the CrossClimate would be the best option for all year round, but there is always a compromise.

1 Like

I have Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance as OE fitment on the new UP! GTI I’ve just bought for the dogs/commute, and I’m quite impressed.
They certainly seem to hang on well, dry and wet, and when they do let go (yes you can induce lift off oversteer in an UP!!!) they seem really nice and progressive. They do seem a bit noisy on some surfaces though, (195/40x17) but that could be VW cost saving on sound insulation to help pay for dieselgate. Who knows.
Looking at the shoulders on the fronts in particular I get the feeling they’re not going to last long though.

2 Likes

Not in this size.

PS3 as PS4 won’t fit on 16’s. I got mine and have been impressed with the grip. I can’t lose the back end on roundabouts in the dry anymore.

I won’t even attempt it in the wet.

1 Like

I’ve no complaint about the V105. If they are available at a reasonable price I will happily fit them again.

That said, the Kumho HS51 has higher ratings for economy and wet grip, and is quieter - at least for drive-by noise. And it’s £20 cheaper from Blackcircles - per tyre.

For year-round use you can get Cross Climate 2’s in this size - at nearly double the cost of the Kumho’s.

1 Like

Got them (Kumho) on the replacement NC Stuart, they are definitely staying on, like them.
Yep your car were ready for a new set should drive great with that choice you now have.:+1:

3 Likes