Mk4 carbon fibre luggage rack

i have been looking at the £515 carbon fibre boot rack for the mk4, apparently it has a load limit of 10 kg due to the boot lid being aluminium.

is it worth £515 to carry an extra 10 kg? 

Sounds like it would be cheaper to send whatever it is you want to put on the rack ahead by post!

At 45 miles to the gallon on the 1.5 that’s about 5000 miles worth of fuel…

I reckon it’s a rip-off, so is the “Luggage Room Board” aka “Boot Liner” @ £201-04.  Standard manufacturer practice with “model orientated” accessories, and not just motor manufacturers either, camera manufacturers are as bad.

Try a boot-bag, they seem pretty generic fit.

Would a boot bag exceed the 10kg weight on the aluminium boot lid or is it sturdy enough to take it? I have a 3.75 but been looking at the 4 …jury is still out.

well any empty boot-bag is maybe 1 kg, depends what you put in it. e.g. if camping fill boot with heavy stuff and put clothes in boot-bag. Ive got a Le Mans trip planned so starting to sort out what packs where.

More like style over function, 10kg is not a lot in real terms and a decent bag will weigh quite a bit, unless you are carrying very lightweight clothes it seems a waste.

Far too expensive in my opinion, we are lucky that we can squeeze all we need for a two week trip into the boot and behind the seats of our Mk3.75, stops us buying too much when we are away too 

We find the NC very comfortable, in the last couple of years it has been to Monte Carlo and Turin, this year it is doing France and Germany and later the Northern Spanish mountains.

I presume that is hotels and not campsites, boot in my NC3 is far smaller than my old Elan hence boot-bag. 

Best way to pack for le mans ? persuade a mate with a big estate to go with you and fill it up it s a secure base when camping