MK4 gearbox problems

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK4
  2. I’m based near: West Midlands
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Gearbox trouble

Hi, recently bought a new Mk 4 MX5 and all is fine except for one very annoying problem I keep having.

I sometimes cannot get my car into first gear or reverse gear at all. It literally feels like my gear stick is hitting a brick wall. I have a 3 month warranty with the garage I bought it from but it’s a bit of a trek to get to and the problem is really annoying me.

Anyone had any similar issues? Mines a 2015 MK4 with only 30,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

2 Likes

Have a read…

Paul Roddison is the go to man, he’s in Sheffield. Give him a ring or visit, he’ll probably have the answer and a remedy.

As for your 3 month warranty have a peruse over it including the small print. Lucky if you can get a new gear box out of it, or at least let Paul have a look and decide what it needs.

1 Like

Hi all
ive got a MK4 MX5 2015 too and had the same issue with my gearbox, it ending up being someone had not use the correct mazda oil (which is recommended) and used another brand. so after changing the oil gearbox has been fine.
hope this helps

2 Likes

Do you know if the brake fluid has been replaced as the clutch should have been done at the same time.

A change of gearbox oil should make a difference

2 Likes

Check out the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The onus is upon the seller
to prove that the fault wasn’t there at the time of purchase. And it applies for the first SIX months after buying the car.

2 Likes

You have 6 months warranty,not sure how garages get away with saying 3 months

1 Like

When you struggle to select first gear, have you tried lifting the clutch pedal right up and pressing down and then try selecting first gear again.

I recall my 2016 ND doing that very rarely, but when it did I would do as above and then no issue. Can’t explain any rational behind it other than it worked.

1 Like

My cynical nature suggests that the 3-month warranty is an off-the-peg one from a third party. This has the added advantage of making you forget about the 6-month rule under the Consumer Credit Acts.

If you don’t get a 6-month MOT then could you have them if it fails in 5 months time?

I seem to recall it advising something similar to that in the Owner’s Manual.

1 Like

Any service history mentioning gearbox oil change?

Like a few people have said may just be an oil issue. Had mine done with a service and they didn’t put the recommended grade of oil on and was very clunky. Took it back and they replaced and much better . ND box is never sweetest shift anyway but right oil helps!

Lots of threads on here with details of correct grade.

That is just is not true. OK when cold 1 and 2 can be ‘stiff’ but once warm it is a very good gear change by any standard.
Perhaps there is something still amiss with yours?
:heart:

1 Like

Mine is not too bad (when warm) maybe I should have been a bit more expansive in my reply in that it’s worse when cold and also (according to lots of you on here) not very robust.

1 Like

So….

I took it back to the garage yesterday and picked it back up today.

I was told originally they couldn’t see a problem and that they tried it “27 times”. I told them it’s when you come to a stop then try and select first gear. Anyway… they said they phoned Mazda and we’re told it’s to do with the gearbox oil.

They’ve changed the oil so I guess we’ll see if it carries on…

Update*

It’s still doing it… it was first and reverse only then this afternoon couldn’t get it into any gear below fourth…

Sorry to hear that: back to the shop on Monday, I suppose…

David