Mk4 / ND Gearbox problems

I contacted Mazda UK about my concerns regarding the gearbox on my 2.0 ND and the fact there was a TSB issued (the original  USA version). I asked Mazda if they would warranty the gearbox for a period to be agreed for such faults as described after the standard warranty period has expired. Mazda UK pleaded ignorance regarding the TSB and stated that if I had any concerns it would be a good idea for me to take their extended warranty for peace of mind. I responded that I did not see why I should have to take out a warranty at my expense to cover what is obviously an inherent design fault. Mazda stated that they act on any such out of standard warranty period claims on an individual basis, but still advised me to take their extended warranty. I have kept copies of all my correspondence with Mazda UK.

My March 2016 registered (delivered January) ND 2.0 Sport Nav has now done 12,000 miles and is not yet showing any gearbox problem symptoms.

I don’t think that you could expect Mazda to recall early ND’s and fit new modified gearboxes but I do think they should provide free extended warranties for the unmodified gearboxes on early cars.

Firstly the above appears to indicate that the 1.5 and 2.0 litre boxes are no longer the same, Version 2 1st gear and reverse gears are only for 2.0 litre engine.

It also looks like it took Mazda two goes at sorting out the failure of 2nd gear, Versions 2 and 3.

Finally Version 4 changes the 1st/2nd synchro assembly, possibly addressing the reported difficulty in engaging 1st and 2nd gears.

This break-down / analysis is very helpful. Thank you Paul (PR-Yorkshire)

As post #22 Mazda still got head in sand!!!

I have had my 1.5 sport Nav for 18 months now and have not had any gearbox problem’s.   It is my daily driver, I have a NA as well.  I short shift the ND as well as hang on to the gears. 

Hi all.  Don’t take this as a gloat or anything such like but. Us owners club members were given the chance to test drive the mark 4. I test drove the 2.0 sport nav before it was fully released to public purchase. 

I did note my findings to the MAZDA sales representative and on this forum ( Bad gear box, Hood issues, no glove box) among others, and was duly told  that, i’d be the proud owner of one of these early mark 4 cars in the near future! I don’t think so.

I do Hope these cars are sorted, and also wish that MAZDA listen to us. Because owner club members like ourselves are the driving force for the mx5 car market.

Chris

So lets look at the facts. The ND has been produced for two years. If there weren’t inherant design faults in the gearbox it wouldn’t have been redesigned three times over that period.

There is a global TSB that Mazda UK have been known to feign ignorance of.

Mazda UK as recently as this week via their Facebook page are encouraging us to take our NDs on track while at the same time using the terms and conditions of the warranty to turn down any claims if we do this.

Mazda state that they act on any out of standard warranty period claims on an individual basis.

Paul Roddison over the years has provided Mazda with huge amounts of free advertising and promotion.

If they refuse to listen to, work with or in any way assist Paul then what chance do any of us have in getting a failed gearbox changed after the three year warranty period?

Paul’s comment of ‘Head in the sand’ says it all.

While not directly involved, I am trying to help. So far my conclusions are this:
Burton asked for any details of gear box issues to be posted here, and I’ve made some small assistance in that aim. Up to now, we have had detailed discussions of what version of modifications are available (quoted four times - wasting web space) and input from others assuring others that they either don’t have a problem, or discussions about Rodders car and his experiences. Not sure that’s relevant, it’s been discussed at length elsewhere. My sympathies are with Paul, but it doesn’t help new owners sort out their problems.

Outcome - If I had a ND with a gearbox problem, I’d be inclined to forget it, as apparently Mazda won’t fix it anyway, or it’s debatable which fix is needed for a particular car. So far this thread is useless for non mechanical owners (of which there are many)

I would humbly suggest posters are not subjected to more cross referencing, but can enter their problems on here, as the original (assumed ?) aim is to collate all problems in one thread. Otherwise this thread is going nowhere - fast. Sorry if this offends anyone - but it needed to be said. (Too many cooks spoil the broth).

Any eventual cure has to be with the dealer, and within the warranty period, with Mazda’s definition of which cars may be affected, so no-one on here (except Robbie*) can say with any experience if a problem can be fixed or not, quoting VIN numbers and possible solutions is unhelpful and adds to the general confusion.
I’m not involved directly, but boy - am I confused.

• Robbie isn’t going to comment on here I’m sure, he is tied in that sense to a dealer, and cannot make commitments that only an individual dealer (and Mazda) can make. In that sense I support him entirely.

So PLEASE - clean up the act!

I feel that it is important to understand what Mazda have done with regards to modifying the gearbox as this gives an insight to what the problem is, i.e. gear failures/unusual noises in 2nd, 3rd and reverse and 1st/2nd selection.  

However I agree with Gerryn we should try to restrict the post going forward to people reporting what problems they are having and what, if anything, dealers/Mazda are doing to resolve them.  Up until now we have had no reports on this thread.

Aside from Paul Roddisons failures looking back on previous posts I have found the following reports:

Quikbrew - 2k miles - 1st/2nd gear selection stiff - reported 12 months ago - nothing reported since

Crashlab - 1st/2nd gear selection stiff - reported 3 days ago

Dave 3.5 - 10k miles - notchy in 1st and 2nd getting worse, deteriorating - reported 3 days ago

Dogman - 2,500 miles - difficult to get into 1st gear - currently being investigated by dealer

prince4142 - 8,000 miles - difficult to get into 1st gear, clunk going into 2nd gear - gearbox being replaced by Mazda

Can the above provide any further updates.

Does anybody know of any others?

Hi PR Yorkshire.

My 2.0 Sport Recaro April 2016 is getting a new gearbox fitted on 29th November. 8000 miles on the clock.I quoted the tsb during my initial phone call.

The Service Manager came out with me for a test as I had difficulty obtaining 1st gear, reverse and 2nd gear was very clunky. I also had a rattle from the gearbox when idling.

Before we left the dealership I asked the manager to try the three gears so he could feel the issues. He agreed that it did not seem normal and should be much smoother and easier to engage the gears.

On the road test there was a fizzing sound when easing off the throttle when in 3rd and he could clearly hear the clunk in 2nd.

His words, “there are far too many unusual sounding noises coupled with the notchy gears”. I will order a replacement gearbox under warranty.

I have asked for a version 3 box as I stated that there is no point fitting a version 2 box as they appear to have issues too and don’t want to be back in for another gearbox sometime down the line. I will be asking for the gearbox label details prior to taking it in so i can check it is the version 3.

Prince

The serial number of the replacement box is fairly visible from under the bonnet I am told. i will find out the easiest way to find it and let you know

Well done PR, now that’s what I call collating. Now multiply that by X (the number of cars outside the Club) and you have a sign of the problems.
Easy to sort X - ask for details of ND owners registered as Club members, and then deduce how many ND’s sold in the last two years. X then is the percentage of faulty O/C cars divided into the number of non club cars.

Once sorted into groups, you can then offer what you think is the solution for each group. BUT TSB’s rule, let’s face it, dealers won’t touch a gearbox without either a TSB or guidance from Mazda, where suds law rules, or so it seems.

Hi burtonm

It can be seen at the back/bottom of the engine visible from the passenger side. Sorry, I meant that I will be asking for the sticker details prior to installation as I will not accept version 2.

Prince

You should get version 4 from November 1st

Doubt it, depends how long the container with them in has been on the high seas ! The goods we used to import took 6 weeks to come in from the Far East

I doubt it too…Version 4 in production cars from 1st November. They will still have old stocks of version 3 and probably 2 sitting around lol

During the height of the racing season two ND gearboxes failed in quick succession, Jon Halliwell got his replacement within a few days I think it was Ex Stock UK, Roddo had to wait 7 to 10 days, I presume his either came in from Belgium (I believe this is where the bulk spares stock of spares are held) or further afield, so it looks as if only a small number of boxes are held in Europe.This may have changed recently.

Interesting this, I have a March 2017 2.0 SportNav RF with all the bells & whistles (adaptive lights, rain sensors, etc, etc), so the paperwork says, read the following from the data sticker on the gearbox:
MAZDA M502 M3 6TJ0100182.

Now I read this as my car having an early gearbox, so my gearbox was made in 2016 in January if I read the information correctly.

Reading the revised TSB R083/16B March 8 2017 gearboxes from serial number 6TJ0900496 or higher are modified. so am sat with a 2017 car with an old 2016 gearbox, is that correct ?.

The numbers top right on the label read 12/27N      what does that denote ?           if it means      27th December  N = ?  is that 2016 ?,      and is that a stamp to show fitment to the car ?          if so that means I have a January 2016 built (unmodified by other data) gearbox but not fitted until December 2016   which could tie in with my car being imported into the UK early 2017,

Comments and observations welcomed. Paul H.

Hi Paul H

I agree with the dates. If you look at the sticker top right should also have month then day e.g. 01/25.

What on earth is Mazda playing at if they are not even sticking to the tsb. Seems they still had old gearbox stock to use up.

Has the gearbox been ok?

Prince