Mk4 / ND Gearbox problems

Are you certain you have i-stop? Not aware of any Mk4 with this for the UK market.

It is more than likely that your car was built in the previous year. I have one of the original gearboxes and have been watching all the threads on this subject and have now stopped fretting. Besides race cars I can only see one member that has had a new box and one further member that may get one.

I will just drive the car and enjoy it and hope you can do the same, life is very very short.

Also add me:

grumpybadger: noticed ‘notchy’ gearbox when switching from 2015 (65) 1.5 to 2017 2.0 (17)  model this year, spoke to dealer who said give it time to ‘bed in’ now done 3.5K still have the odd moment where it won’t go into first, if this gets too annoying will head back to dealer.

I’m no mechanic but…

Looks like there are two separate problems which are not directly related. We know that Paul Roddinson has his own solution to the 2nd/3rd failure which he is extensively testing before making the service available to customers.

I’m assuming that the problem of 1st/2nd selection is not related or cured by Paul’s modifications. It would seem worthwhile to fit upgraded parts to prevent or cure this problem while the box was stripped for upgrading. Obviously this would add cost but far cheaper than having to have the box out and stripped again.

MadMalc, apologies - I-stop not fitted (although do have the blank for switch in panel- same panel as our CX5 with I-stop) spot of brain fade, am posting on another thread VIN number to try and find out when my “2017” car wad actually made, reckon its a “bitsa” ???.

For comparison, I have a 2015/65 2.0 and have never had a problem getting it into any gear (and I am watching out for it for obvious reasons). I had a 2017 1.5 a few weeks ago while mine was in for servicing and didn’t notice any difference between that gearbox and mine.

March 2016 2.0, approaching 7,500 miles no problems (owned since 5800 miles) and not driven lightly.

Grumpy badger, any problems getting into reverse

More info from previous earlier post

Interesting this, I have a March 2017 2.0 SportNav RF with all the bells & whistles (adaptive lights, rain sensors, etc, etc), so the paperwork says, read the following from the data sticker on the gearbox:
MAZDA M502 M3 6TJ0100182.

Now I read this as my car having an early gearbox, so my gearbox was made in 2016 in January if I read the information correctly.

Reading the revised TSB R083/16B March 8 2017 gearboxes from serial number 6TJ0900496 or higher are modified. so am sat with a 2017 car with an old 2016 gearbox, is that correct ?.

The numbers top right on the label read 12/27N what does that denote ? if it means 27th December N = ? is that 2016 ?, and is that a stamp to show fitment to the car ? if so that means I have a January 2016 built (unmodified by other data) gearbox but not fitted until December 2016 which could tie in with my car being imported into the UK early 2017,

Comments and observations welcomed. Paul H.

Yes similar locking when cold not able to engage without re-clutching or selecting another gear first.

Some evidence of stiffness at least in one/some variations of the box.

7 days in the evidence from this sample would suggest not that many overall.

GB mine is the same. Car going in on Thursday for the getting into first and reverse problem as posted here.

Hi team

I have a 2litre sport that i purcgased sept 2015 one of very first ones,all gears etc are great,all changes even from cold vert easy and smooth,i have now done approx 16500 miles in the car ,i really enjoy driving it,i am aware of the problem but not converned,i have one more years warrantry to run,before then i will decide perhaps to extende the warrantry or may trade it in,but are quite happy with the car ,very pleased that i purchased it,this year one particulare journey involved me driving over 660 miles in one day all with roof off,gearbox was perfect .

All best Simon

Hi

I have a 2.0 Sport Nav…April 2016…10000 miles, fully dinitrolled…gearbox smooth as a baby’s bottom…absolutely no problems with the car apart from the odd rattle and scraping the wing on the garage door, great respray done by my dealer !! The car is a blast to drive. I’m just 70 and for me now life is too short really to get wound up about this gearbox issue. What will be will be. When I get to the stage I can’t drive it (feeble)  I will give it to my daughter I realize some people are very concerned…hopefully if there proves to be a major issue post warranties Mazda will do the right thing. After all there is the Cosumer Rights Act 2015 which might come into play . Although this normally applies early on in a purchase if it’s over 6 months and less than six years if you can show that the manufacturer is at fault from what I have read there maybe a good chance of some redress. In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range. The service bulletins coming from Mazda regarding the gearbox are surely the evidence required . Also your  claim would be against the retailer who sold the goods not the manufacturer ! WHICH Have a good article online about this.

regards

John

IMO Mazda still seem to by missing the point that the diff ratio is too tall and is the route of the problem, this and the fact they don’t seem to be listening to us the customers!! Well certainly not me…lol

unfortunately I’m old enough to remember a company called British Leyland from Longbridge who also didn’t listen to customer feed back…look where they are now!! 

Dogman can you keep us posted on the outcome.

Can you ask the dealer if he is aware of the Mazda gearbox TSB.  I cannot see that it has been updated to reflect version 4 of the gearbox modifications, this is the mod that addresses the problem of engaging 1st gear with the new synchro.  This is the problem that the majority of people who have replied to this post are experiencing.

As I have said previously I don’t expect to see the gear failures experienced by Paul Roddison until road cars have covered a lot more miles.

Thanks Paul Robinson

I will keep you posted.

Update:

A version 2 gearbox has been sent to my local dealer for replacement and I have rejected it. I have given the revision list to them and they agree that I should get a version 3 at minimum. The gearbox was sent from the UK parts depot in Northamptonshire and is a September 2016 gearbox.

I have emailed the Mazda Uk M.D. Jeremy Thomson and copied in the Japanese MD and the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders CEO Mike Hawes.

It is totally unacceptable that Mazda are allowing substandard gearboxes of old versions to be fitted as a replacement when new production models are getting the latest version number 4 as of 1st November 2017.

Prince

1 Like

I’m inclined to agree with you Prince.

As the first three generations of ND gearboxes have been proven to have weaknesses, surely it makes sense for Mazda to replace any faulty old boxes with the latest incarnation.  OK, so they might get away with fitting an earlier box, and it might be fine.  Or it may just be OK until the customer’s warranty runs out - then it’s down to him (or her).  But this is not really good for long-term customer relations is it.

It’s just as well that you are tuned-in to what is happening with this problem - another customer, perhaps one who is not an OC member, might not know any difference, and simply accept what the dealer has been sent to fit.

Prince. I will be very interested in the responses you get to your E-mails. Particularly those sent to Mazda. Well done for contacting Mazda directly . Mazda should not be providing replacement modified gearboxes that they have obviously not finished developing. All they have to do is install a modified gearbox and thrash it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear to see what breaks and then improve the design until it stops breaking. They must be able to simulate what is happening to cars that are being raced. 

Making you aware and the OC members fighting for what they should get without a fight makes all what I have done worthwhile.

YES all Mazda needed to do was give me the gearboxes to test! Lol