Mk4 sound tube delete (sound sample for reference)

For those interested in a sound tube delete, I have been recording some comparison on board a Mk4. Just a few thoughts, it improves idle noise on a cold start and I personally like it more with the delete. https://youtu.be/RDSfska4Sh8

3 Likes

I removed the “Fart pipe” from mine IMMEDIATELY I got home from collecting the car, I had the replacement parts ready and waiting!!!

3 Likes

Thanks, good comparison video.

1 Like

Thanks, I had looked for one and non really told me what I was looking for. So instead of complaining I made my own

1 Like

Hmmmm :thinking: my hearing is not great at the best of times but listening to both sets of clips, using the same pair of duff ears, (but only through iPad speakers) the delete clips sound marginally louder? Or at the very least, almost the same? Only my opinion though, those with better listening gear may hear it differently and appreciate the results more :blush: It sounds like (no pun intended :rofl:) that you’ve sorted the modification out at little or zero cost, doing it yourself, so fair play for that!

Enjoy!

Barrie

Like Barrie, I too struggle to detect the difference. In my ND2, I can’t locate anything resembling “fart” noises. Think I’d need to see/hear one in the flesh to tell the difference.
It might be my ageing ears are becoming detuned as when I test drove a BRX & GT86 some years ago, the noise piped in to the cabin was very evident.

1 Like

I can hear the difference, if I’m honest I kinda prefer the induction noise of the sound pipe! It’s all engine noise without, which isn’t bad but I like induction noise. Saves me getting a daft (heatsoaking) induction kit too.

1 Like

Must admit I have to agree.

2 Likes

Interesting video. To be fair, there is a difference (to my ears anyway). But I prefer the sound tube! I bought a sports exhaust so that I could hear more engine sounds. Its not a bad sound as standard and at some point I will have to have a silent electric car, so I am enjoying the noise.

However the great thing with MX5’s is that each owner is different and they are customisable, so if you prefer it quieter, great option and it does remove half a kilo of unnecessary weight…

3 Likes