Mod to enable fast raising & lowering of the soft top

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk2
  2. I’m based near: Manchester

I’ve had a mark 2 since 2014 and some time ago came up with a little mod to attach a strap to the soft top hand hold which allows the driver to raise and lower the top without leaving the car. I wrote it up in the form of an ‘Instructable’ - hopefully it might be of interest :grin:

See How to Open & Close Your Miata Soft-top Roof From the Driver's Seat! - Instructables

I’ve also got a project on the same site showing how to store a hard top by hanging it from a garage ceiling, if you’re interested.

Left hander here. Never had to leave a NA to raise the roof.

I’ve never sat in an NA - are you unusually flexible :wink: or is it a ‘thing’ with that model?

The NA has basically the same roof as the NB. Being one of the 1 in 10 means the lowering handle falls easily to hand in the RHD market. For LHD markets, the opposite applies.

Purist NAs will also have to deal with unzipping a plastic window.

Well, I learned something new today! Thanks :grin:

Did similar thing to my nb when I had it as I could not turn around easily. I did not go to the exotic way you didI simply rmoved the cover an fitted a piece of belt to it and screwed the cover back into place.Also put piece of adhesive velcro on belt and top of winscreen surround to keep strap out of field of view when not in use

I raise and lower the roof in my mk2s from the drivers seat with my left arm but its a bit more awkard with the bucket seat now so may consider something like this in future!

After initially dismissing the idea of doing a mod, I decided to go out to the shed…

Dug out the old heavy duty velcro straps that my Ikea matress came wrapped in

Found a couple of hex head bolts of the same thread pitch and appropriate size. Left both parts of the strap on initially to see which was most ergonomic.

fitted to the car…

Decided to go with the shorter strap as it is the easier one to pull the roof up with, it doesnt obscure the screen at all as well which is nice!

Quick no cost mod that actually works! very nice, cheers for the inspiration custard

Very nice!
It looks good and doesn’t get in the way when the hood’s up (I have to unclip mine of course).
Hey - I’m an influencer!!!

1 Like

yes! and it genuinely works well too, pleased with it!

If I hadn’t any suitable rod in my junk drawer, that would have been my solution too! Great minds etc… ! :wink:

1 Like