Model car ♥️

A photo of an AutoArt 1/18 scale MX-5.

I bought this model about five years ago, for around £70.00, when our first full-sized MX-5 had to go back after the end of its company-car lease period. I never thought I’d be able to afford to actually buy one to replace it, so I bought this model to remind me of all the fun I had with the real thing. However, my wife and I both missed the ability to go topless, so we pushed the boat out and bought our current 5 Sport.

Love these cars !

6 Likes

That’s one great looking model.

1 Like

wow - the only one I can find is £320 plus £30 postage from Japan. Looks like you got a bargain and a very good model to boot.

I built the Aoshima NB Mazdaspeed Roadster. Very easy to put together, I’m not entirely convinced about the weird headlamp finishers but the standard ones come in the box too. Both this kit and the standard NB are available via Kent Models.
Imgur
I have a Tamiya Eunos to build at some time. I think it’ll be Mariner Blue as otherwise all my model cars are red. Also I’ve nearly run out of red in lockdown!

I keep looking for the Fujimi NC kit but it seems to be out of production; if the seeming lack of love for the NC is also common in Japan then sadly they may not reissue it.

I’ve also got some rather costly resin Rays wheels and an expensive RF conversion to make the Tamiya ND ST into a copy of my AE30. Of course now Tamiya have released an RF that includes Recaros as well. Sometimes you just can’t win…

4 Likes

I know what you mean about the eyes. I’m the same.
I’ve started mine now and apart from not being able to see it too well my skills are very rusty.

That’s a nice looking Mazda speed O. It shows what can be made of one. Lovely shine :+1:

At one time or other all marques of the car were available so it could be possible to build ones own fleet. Might look into that if this one turns out ok. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi V_BRG, wooden trim isn’t too hard to replicate using either aftermarket decals from the WW1 era modelling or with paint.
If you’re interested drop me a pm and I can run through the technique with you. HTH

I finished the Tamiya MK1 model , ( although I have a MK 3 ) it didn’t turn out too bad, but far from perfect due to my dodgy old minces, it lacks some of the more detailed work, the paint has some orange peel effect on the bonnet, and the minute gearstick pinged out of the Tweezers never to be seen again, so I made a makeshift one from a bit of the black plastic framework.
I also fitted a tan Leather interior :grin: , might try another one at some time, maybe a Lambo :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Boz

4 Likes

That looks super :ok_hand: puts me to shame as mine’s still in the box. :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks, as long as you don’t look too close :smile:

Boz

Boz, your Mark 1 looks fine. The main thing to remember with modelling, in my opinion, is to have fun*. If you get praise from others that’s a bonus.
Cheers
Will

• sometimes hard to remember this when scrabbling on the floor for the vital part that launched itself from the tweezers!
3 Likes

Cheers Will
Might even buy another one to keep me occupied during the lockdown, beats decorating and its relaxing, :smile:

Boz

1 Like

That looks very well detailed - looks like the real deal without having to squint at all!
I have this 1:24 model which a good friend gave me, adding the number plates and roll bar:

4 Likes

Ah, the dreaded carpet monster!
How can tiny bits of plastic be equipped with a stealth mode? :thinking:
I was fiddling with the stalks on the Aoshima kit and dropped it.
Luckily I retrieved it after some scrabbling on my knees :smirk:

Nice models Boz and PhilGee. Lovely shines on both. Good job guys :+1:

2 Likes

Great job with the models
I brought the Tamiya mk1 done :+1:

5 Likes

Very nice Woodie.
May I ask what you used for the green?
Is it automotive spray or a model colour. It’s a terrific shade.
Good job :+1:

Yeah it’s a auto paint,grey primer then racing green obviously it looks a bit like my car

1 Like