Mohair protection - Johnsons & Fabsil - Any tips?

After reading the forums on here and others on how best to treat a mohair roof its now time to crack on. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I’ve got my Johnson’s baby bath (blue bottle) for washing the mohair.<o:p></o:p>

I’ve got my Grangers Fabsil waterproofer.<o:p></o:p>

So no trolling on what’s best …Zip It!

Does anyone have experience and can provide do’s / don’t’s for the Fabsil application e.g. does it lift the paint if spilled … 2 coats one in each direction… etc…<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance… <o:p></o:p>

the fabsil cleaner is really good , however my experience with fabsil is…its not great

even after 4 or 5 coats over 3 days , in heavy rain the hood will just look sodden, in a light shower it beads up nicely.

Try 3m scotch gard for tents :wink: its much better , also nikwax is meant to be good.

The Autoglym hood conditioner is really good, I have only ever bought it as part of a kit with cleaner and sponge but assume you can buy it separately.

On recomendation from a friend with a TT roadster I have just used Fenwicks re-proofer http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_165060_langId_-1_categoryId_165576

It’s hydrophobic and has good reviews, pretty cheap too! Only just treated mine today so not sure of the results yet but it works a treat on my friends car.

Just an update to say the re-proofer seems to be working a treat. I washed the car and my daughter asked why there was hail on my roof :slight_smile: the water just turned into blobs which would of blown off if I was driving at the time!

Hi Shane,

When I had a new hood fitted I was recommended a camping / shoe water proofer… So glad to see someone has actually tried it :slight_smile:

How to you keep the spray off the bodywork and glass, or do you find that it doesn’t matter?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter

I avoided spraying the paint and glass where possible but the inevitable overspill I removed with a polishing cloth once it had dried. It takes a bit of elbow grease but it does come off.

Shane.

When I had my mohair roof fitted 2 years ago, the fitting company, (http://www.cartrimmingcompany.co.uk/) advised me to only use clean water to keep it in good shape.

However, when I wash the car, I always use Autoglym bodywork shampoo, (in the green lable bottle).  This works a treatThumbs up.  I rinse the car first then shampoo the car and roof using a micrfibre sponge with a warm shampoo solution.  I then rinse it off and dry it with a microfibre towel.

The roof is as good now as when it was fitted 2 years ago.  Water beads up nicely and it dries very quickly after it has been wetted.

Gtechniq i1 smart fabric