Monitor with usb ports laptop- monitor question!

Hi everyone!

I have a HP ENVY32 monitor with 3 USB ports, 2 hdmi ports and USB A to B. I know i can connect the laptop USB A to the monitor USB B and make use the drivers are upto date.

What can I use the 2 USB ports on the monitor for? I read mouse and keyboard and USB cable to charge a mobile.

I can use a HDMI cable from laptop to monitor to watch films etc.

I am not sure of useful puposes of these monitor ports!

Any advice welcomed!

Ofiaich!

Is to allow the other 2 USB ports to communicate with the laptop.

Anything you want since the ports on the monitor will be getting their power from mains voltage, so external harddrives, mice, keyboards, USB keys/thumb drives etc. or as you said just charging your phone (or transferring files off it to the laptop).

1 Like

Thanks Skadgeer,

My laptop has 3 USB, 1 HDMI and a SD card slot so the monitors USB’s are adding to those!

I guess, if I had a tower PC on the floor then the extra ports on the monitor would be very useful!

The HDMI/HML port on the monitor is useful for connecting to the SKY minibox. Gives a better picture than my small tv!

Ofiaich

Convenience and port expansion, I think. You might close the laptop and keep it in a less accessible location and just use one screen (the monitor) or you could own a laptop with only one USB port so the effective addition of a small USB hub means you can connect more stuff via your monitor. One of my monitors is similar - I almost never use the USB ports on it. I suppose at a stretch it might be useful for connecting a USB webcam that lives on top of the monitor.

Sometimes manufacturers just add features so they can tick boxes, IMHO.

1 Like

Thanks MikeC!

I set the monitor up with an external USB drive and a flash drive. All working fine but I know I need to turn on the monitor to use those! The mini Sky box picture on the monitor looks good!

I enjoyed experimenting! Pouring with rain here so in the afternoon!

Ofiaich

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.