Monthly road tax

Just a general question really about paying for road tax monthly. My mot expired mid January yet the dvla have still taken the last 2 monthly payments for road tax. I didn’t think it was possible to get road tax without an mot?

I think your road tax is ‘annual’ but you are paying in monthly instalments. It is like borrowing the money to pay a years worth of road tax. You are not taking out road tax every month.
Hope this makes sense???
:heart:

3 Likes

No it’s not. It renews every month. When my mot was due on 12th of the month and tax due the first it didn’t take the money and I got an automated email from DVLA to say they wouldn’t tax a car with less than 14 days MOT.

I believe these days, your road tax is being paid for unless you SORN it. Maybe the presence of a current MOT makes it valid or not :man_shrugging:

Well like I say I tax my bikes and cars and sorn them left right and centre. Any time my MOT has been short on the renewal of the month they wouldn’t take the money and I got an email from DVLA. So I’d call that fairly indicative.

1 Like

Slightly different issue I suspect. In that case you were applying for a new VED for a year (say). Paying monthly is effectively paying off a loan over the year, as MadMalc notes. Every vehicle’s MoT will expire some time during the year for which the VED is valid. It’s the owner’s responsibility to keep the MoT valid, but the VED remains in place. A SORNed vehicle needs a new application for VED to be put back on the road and that will only be possible, it seems, if the MoT has 14+days to run at the date of application.
JS

2 Likes

Not so. Was mid term.

And has happened to me many times.

My road tax demand arrived this morning and they have upped the price this year, £150/year now.

You tax your car for either 6 or 12 months.
The cost is then divided by x number of instalments.
If your MOT runs out you still have to pay the remaining instalments due.

1 Like

LOL
i wish mine was that cheap

1 Like

Nope. You can stop paying at any point. I do it on a regular basis.

1 Like

Which car is this for ?
If I recall…my 2.0 NC is over 300 quid/year ?

My 2013 2.0 (Believe they are all the same) has 181G/KM which falls into the “I” band of £265 a year.

The NC1 (2ltr) is now £305, falls into the next co2 category J

Blimey, didn’t realise that!
Thanks for that. :+1:

Hi M and anyone else that can assist,
This is interesting if a little confusing.
If you look up a vehicle that is ‘paid monthly’ here ://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax
what does it show as the ‘tax due date’, is it the MOT expiry date?
I suspect it will be the annual or 6 monthly date and not the end of the month but it would help to definitively know.
It is of no consequence how it works, it just comes under the heading of ‘interesting’ as there is nothing else to do at the moment.

In my opinion it will be the Tax due date.
It matters not really whether you pay monthly, 6 monthly or yearly.
To clarify.
The Left Green box will show the Tax Expiry date.
The Right Green box will show the MOT Expiry date if it needs one.
The MOT due date is on a different system as in this one.
Hope it helps. :+1:
Yes agreed interesting and we don’t have a lot to do. :slightly_smiling_face:

As far as I see it (it says so) you need a valid MOT for the vehicle when your tax commences. So if you tax it from the 1st of the month and the MOT runs out on the 2nd of that month it’s up to you to renew the MOT, in other words they won’t refuse to tax it.
I can’t find anything to suggest they will cancel your tax for lack of MOT whether paying monthly, 6 monthly or the whole 12 months.

This is where my knowledge is stumbling and why it would be interesting to know definitively what the tax renewal date is on a monthly payment car.
Ms experience suggests it is monthly where as this is not what most of us think. So if anyone on monthly payments could have a quick look and report the actual date it may help my brain to grasp the ‘facts of the matter’.