Mop & Polisher Set....Recommendations

I’m looking to buy a decent mop / polisher for home use, any info appreciated, budget £100/150.
TIA.

We sell quite a number of these.
https://www.beal.org.uk/power-tools/180mm-sander/polisher.html

We used to get a few returns under warranty which was down to a defective switch, but the device was modified about 18 months ago, and I’m not aware of a single one coming back since.

Well within your budget

I use a DAS6-Pro dual action polisher and have had great results with it. I got mine from Clean Your Car

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint-correction/polishing-machines/dual-action-polishers#page=128&top=764&

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve had someone else recommend this one.

Not sure if these photos do it justice but my car was a real mess, covered on swirls and holograms. The difference was unbelievable.

1 Like

That looks very impressive. I’m hoping to move on from hand polishing and take my Vspec up a notch with electric help.

1 Like

I have the same one too. Use it on the MX and my Lexus.
Great results every time. Nice bit of kit and storage bag to keep everything together. I use Lake County pads with my DAS Pro.

The only thing with the MX-5 (or certainly my NB) is that the paint is sooo soft. You have to be really really careful when you wash it to avoid reintroducing the scratches that you’ve spent time polishing out.
I always foam, rinse then two-bucket method, and I still see them reappear from time to time.

Wow, what polish did you use???

Thanks! It actually looks better in reality, it’s difficult to capture on a photo.

I used Mezerna polish, starting with medium cut 2500 and tangerine Lake County pad, then Finish 3800 with a crimson Lake County pad. I tried the 3800 on its own but it wasn’t aggressive enough to take all the swirls out, even with the soft Mazda paint. (Das6 Pro dual action polisher).

Once I’d got the scratches out it was time for the Blackfire “Wet Ice over Fire” system. Weird name but really good for black cars. It’s a fine polish first (which also primes the surface), then a paint protection polymer layer, and finally a carnauba wax. I keep it topped up with their detailing spray after washing.

You have to be so careful with the Mazda paint though. It scratches so easily, and it really shows up on the black paint. So washing is always contactless first.

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

On a budget like that a das 6 polisher can’t be beaten. Safe to use in DIY hands with some decent compounds and polishes.
I like scholl s3 its got a fair bit of cut initially but it refines down and finishes quite nicely if you work it for longer unlike traditional cutting compounds. with a medium foam pad (polishing pad) it will give you passable results in one step.

If you have the time or really bad paint you can do a two or 3 stage cut polish and finish but it’s not really necessary.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with pads starting at the softer end and working up until it cuts enough. It’s very satisfying once you work out your system.

Meguiars professional pads and polishes are good too. Their microfibre pads are excellent but overkill for mazda paint

Any thoughts on Scholl S20 Black 1 Step Compound? I’m completely new to machine polishing so I want something safe-ish on the ND’s butter (it’s not paint, despite what Mazda say) but I do need some cut as the rear bumper in particular is massively swirled up and I do have some RDS I want to soften too.

The DAS 6 Pro is probably out of budget for me so I was looking at the Katsu 850W dual action 150mm. Would I need both 3 and 5" plates?

for black paint i find Poorboys Black Hole Glaze followed by Nattys Wax does a great job at giving a deep shine, simple to apply and buff too

Thanks, Black Hole certainly has a good reputation as a filler glaze but I’m after permanent correction with a polish as I’m fed up of having to reapply stuff when it washes out to stop it looking a state

I have found menzerna 3 in 1 to be very good.

The wife :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’ve found scholl products to be good though I’ve not tried s20 I’d have thought it good.

I’ve found the pad makes a big difference so if s20 is abit finer you could use it with a cutting or microfibre pad for getting out major swirls or most likely a standard polishing pad would do the job.

I’ve always found one stage polishing will always leave a few holograms so tend to do a good set with a polishing pad and s3 gold and finish with a refining polish like 3m ultrafina if I’m going to the effort though I’ve found with the right pads you can get away with a one stager.

As you say Mazda paint is soft and sticky so go easy and work up the grades of pad and polish even if it means doing 2 sets with a finer polish and pad :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought the In2Detailing DA8 Polisher over the winter (£99.95). It comes with 5" and 3" backing plates which is useful (though the 3" is still difficult to get into some areas). I used it with Scholl S20 Black (1 Step) and Koch Chemie Orange One Cut Pads. Not used any of these before but gave me something to do and have had good results. I wasn’t trying for perfection but it removed all the light swirls and even a couple of deeper scratches in the clear coat without any issues. Good purchase

I think.

3 Likes

I’ve recently purchased a DA which came with a single pad so good to see your recomendations.
I tend to use a cutting compound if the car is really bad, and a polish, so would you recommend the S20 for both jobs?

The paintwork was pretty decent anyway but I was impressed with the results. I didn’t use any other polish, just the S20 followed by Gtechniq Panel Wipe then Autoglym HD wax. I prepared the paint first with a full wash and clay bar. I have also used the S20 on my other car and my wife’s but used Garage Therapy Ceramic Sealant instead of the wax - It’s quite impressive and I would use it on the grey MX5 next I need to coat it with something. The Garage Therapy products all seem to be pretty good.

2 Likes