Most reliable ~180bhp turbo conversion

I am after a turbo conversion for my mk2 1600cc car that above all must be reliable and easy to maintain for both road a track use. Many unsettling stories surrounding boost devices, ECU’s, FPR, dipstick oil returns v sump oil returns for example.  I want a setup that any rolling road tuner can use, plus a system that can remain static with boost control safety measures, a completely controllable ECU would be ideal rather than reliance upon a mechanical boost device for example than can over time experience fatigue and ‘overboost’ issues.  Happy to have 180-200bhp to ensure reliability and standard internals/clutch if possible as I am not a fan of paddle clutches or uprated ones that are like a switch.  What kits and companies are there that can be recommended please? 

I am based in Kent, but willing to travel a distance for the right setup.

Kind regards,

James

Skuzzle, Blink Motorsport and Mtech automotive all would be worth a shout 

Skuzzle is probably the nearest to you from that list.

There may be others nearer you, I am no expert

Thank you, all booked now

If you are only going to 180 BHP, why not just swap for a 1.8 vvti that runs at 146 bhp as standard and do a few small tweaks with performance exhaust and good cold air induction for a few extra. Admittedly you would have to change the whole wiring loom, but not a too difficult job to do an engine swap.

have often thought of going down this route. It would interesting to hear about your experience with whoever you choose. If it proves to be a smooth, successful operation I, and probably others, might consider forcing the lid off the old piggy bank.

Not forgetting ( as an owner of ten years now of a Mk2.5) that this much vaunted 146BHP is, in actual fact, showroom blob chart bull, considering it’s a rating on the Hiroshima test rigs sans ancillaries…and old engines do shed net power over the years. I doubt very much our Sport uses a realistic 125 bhp-ish these days…and that engine is pristine & tight.

Insofar you could install an 1840cc “146” BHP mill and spend good money on non-Fi tweaks, the result may be found lacking. 

FI is likely the way to go then for the OP’s power requirement.

At least you can fiddle with FI until the rolling road says “180bhp” 

I travelled the road of forced induction because I have always wanted to have such a setup on an MX5, enjoying the noises associated therewith and upgrade options are there once the initial setup has been installed if that is indeed the road wishing to be travelled.

My experience was absolutely shocking to say the least, to which I could write a book about it.  I asked for a reliable 180bhp installation and explained my previous poor experiences with garages, I usually pay a premium for a premium rate service at my local garage that my family and I have used for decades and that high level of service is what I expect in this instance from a garage that was recommended to me.  All of which was given the full ‘can do attitude, we will not let you down speech’.  I will not detail everything here as to be fair the experience has tarnished both my girlfriend and my feelings towards the car, but bullet points are below:

• Thermostat gasket leak despite garage changing the gasket and upon collection I pointed it out to be told, oh that's just some residue.  Once I got home the coolant bottle was empty and coolant was on the garage floor
  • When I tried to start the car at the garage it did not start, then a tuner did some wizardry on a laptop and it started eventually.
  • Off cut rubber coolant hose lodged in-between the cooling fan and radiator blocking the fan from working.
  • The car kept cutting out in traffic
  • The car did not start at the fuel station so had to call the RAC to tow me home (twice)
  • The car did not idle steadily
  • Once remotely tuned again it kept on having problems again and again and again
  • The car slowly returned to idle at any RPM so meant it kept lurching forward when changing up
  • Each time the tuner dialled in remotely a 20 minute exercise took 2 hours several times over a few months
  • The car remained like this from December 2016 until March 2017
  • The tuning person had no people skills at all, in fact at times quite rude
  • When the car was collected to be taken back to the garage by them at their cost, instead of collecting at 7pm as agreed, they turned up at 04:30 during the working week
  • The tow truck scraped the exhaust system
  • The garage stated we only need it up to one week to fix the issues, they had it for six weeks
  • I really could go on and on...........

I can however report that the car is now fixed and after some 200 miles runs well, the garage did say it was their strongest example to date, I expect damn so too after everything.

I have forgotten some elements and do not wish to go into details too much as the whole experience really did place in-necessary stress for both my girlfriend and I to which what should have been a joy and pleasure to experience.  Would I travel the FI route again?  Yes, yes I would but research my friends and ask members of their experiences first, then again I did and still was badly stung.  However I was not out of pocket and the garage fixed everything at cost.  So all I lost in terms of money would be road tax, insurance and premium loss at RAC renewal time.

Sad experience - BUT - is that in the past, or the present? THe implication (after four months) seems to suggest the present?

Indeed as I said, it was in this poorly state from December 2016 through to March 2017.  However after some further miles put on, be it not many at present, it only has two slight niggles but happy to accept them, one may be a bedding in process of the uprated clutch the other is a slightly higher idle than I would have liked (1050rpm)

mind me asking which garage carried the work out? pm me if you feel more comfortable with that.

Yet my wife’s  VVi made 150 bhp on Northampton Motorsport’s single roller dyno with 80K on the clock. The engine is 100% standard as is the power train and exhaust system. Now dyno’s vary, but I wouldn’t expect it to be 20% out. 

I will PM you.

It’s a good read, and good advice to research. But when you don’t tell us where all this happened, what’s the use? I ask because time and time again I read these warning stories, as do many people. But there’s never any mention of who’s involved. No one’s ever named. So what use is research?

what company did you use buddy?

im in kent also and have long term plans to turbo my own 5, i will however need it to be mapped by a professional…and definitely dont want to go where you went…

I too would be very grateful if you would pm me regarding where you had that work done as I am in the process of getting a turbo fitted to my car but haven’t taken the plunge quite yet.

Hi James. Your inbox was full so couldn’t receive my pm repl to you. Just wanted to thank you for getting back to me with the information I needed. Good luck and Happy New Year. Tom.