MOT Extensions - From 30th March

This is something you may not be aware of!

My Mk2.5 was due for its annual MOT and Service next Tuesday, (31st March), my local garage phoned me this afternoon and informed me that the Government are extending MOT’s for 6 months, (beyond their current expiry date). I assume this is only in place during the 12 week ‘lockdown’ period and any subsequent ‘lockdown’ thereafter and again assume this would only cover vehicles who’s MOT expires during that period.

Best Wishes to all MX5 Owners in the Eastern Region, Keep Safe, Keep Well.

Barry

1 Like

Well my MOT expires on 1st August and having just checked online it is still showing same expiry date. So you are probably correct. It is those that expire in next 12 weeks.

Ian

My daily expires in 10 weeks, it still shows the 6th of June on the DVLA web site.

From what I’d read there will be a short delay in updating the Gov MOT sites. I should imagine this will be very early April.

Thanks Barry, hope you and Jen are keeping well.

Looks like MOT due dates will be updated online in due course - my daughter’s car is due next Friday and the garage that looks after it for her called to say the MOT centre they use is only doing retests at present and then is closing temporarily. The details are still showing as expiring next Friday, so will keep checking.

Out of interest, is anyone considering putting their 5 on SORN? Never bothered before but wondering if it’s worth keeping it taxed at present.

Copied this from gov.uk:

What you need to do

You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.

Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months.

Example Your vehicle’s MOT was due to expire on 3 April 2020.

This will automatically be extended to 3 October 2020. You will need to get your MOT by this date.

You can check your MOT history to see when you have been issued an exemption. It will not be updated straight away, so keep checking back if your new due date MOT is not yet showing.

You will not get a paper exemption certificate.

If your vehicle tax is due, you can tax your vehicle as soon as your MOT due date has been updated.

Phil

2 Likes

No way am I SORNING mine, I plan to keep using it, even if it’s just to go to the shops!

Reference the sorn, I deliberated whether to tax mine at the start of March. It took me until 9th March to decide to do it. So with only 50 miles covered in two outings, that was only shopping trips to blow away the winter cobwebs it’s now back in isolation. As soon as Boris announced the stay at home with exceptions, leisure drives isn’t one of those I ended up putting back on sorn. At £25 per month it makes sense, my daily driver costs £30 per annum to tax so that’s a no brainer.

Hi Phil / Jen

At the moment we are both fine and are hoping to stay that way! Luckily the spring is always a busy time at home, so we are mostly repairing the ravages of winter, cutting grass, cleaning green algae from north facing areas or replacing paddock fencing, (170 metres completed so far, only another 120 metres to go.
After that it’s out with the clay bar and start tidying the cars, ready for the resumption of life.
With regard to SORN, the only time I tried it was on a works van and although it was relatively painless, we didn’t have a virus pandemic to contend with.
Hopefully we can be back in the swing by mid summer, in the meantime stay well and keep safe.

Best Wishes

Barry and Jenny

1 Like

I had my works van MOT’d today and just out of curiosity i asked the tester about this quandary of not being able to get a test done and more specifically how could i get the van taxed without an mot.
Answer, six months grace on the test and you can tax the vehicle without a test certificate while this current situation lasts.

Well, I’ve put it on SORN now.

We have shops within walking distance and 4 supermarkets not much more than a mile away, so will use our daily driver for those trips, when necessary.

Hopefully we’ll all be able to get back to normal at some point soon :+1:

1 Like

I have SORNed both my MX5 and my wife’s Fabia. The tax for both these cars is £260 per annum.
That equates to £10 a week. We will just use my Octavia for shopping as the tax is only £30 per annum. It is very simple to retax the car online if things change.

1 Like

All car & Van MOT’s have been extended by 6 months from 31/03/2020, Due to the high number of records to be amended the MOT records are being updated 1 week before the current expiry dates.
Information from the GOV,UK Website.
Any MOT 's that expired on or before the 30th March 2020 will not have the dates extended & will need a test before being used

1 Like

Last week our local garage MOT’d All 3 of our cars. I did the oil changes & stripped & cleaned brakes on all 3. I am using the MX5 to take the Poorly cat to the vets, drowns out the wowing ! And get the shopping on the way back.