MOT Extensions

MOT extensions

From 30th March Vehicle owners to be granted a 6-month exemption from MOT testing.

2 Likes

MOT station are not forced to close although some have chosen to. Our Juke is due for MOT 16th April. Got it booked in for service and MOT on 2nd. If they are still open Iā€™ll have it done. Far simpler to have service and MOT due at the same time of year.

1 Like

Unless you are a Key Worker and reliant on your transport, thereā€™s no need to get you car MoTā€™d and/or serviced at a time when doing so potentially puts everybody that you come into contact with (both at home and at the garage) at risk.

What part of the governmentā€™s advice donā€™t you understand?

2 Likes

Government guidlines donā€™t clearly define ā€˜key workerā€™

Furthermore, some of us canā€™t work from home, and some canā€™t live on Ā£94 per week.
Our distribution centre hasnā€™t closed, Iā€™ve no realistic option but to go to work.

Iā€™ll make best endevours to get my car MOTā€™d, this relaxing is good in the respect that it gives me a little leeway to do so.

1 Like

Mine was due April 18, so I had it done yesterday, hey ho, I could have waitedā€¦

Non-key workers still have to use their cars e.g. to go shopping or to medical appointments as per the Government guidance. You can still be prosecuted for driving an unsafe vehicle, but most drivers rely on the MoT or service to identify such issues so Iā€™m not sure how missing an MoT or service is necessarily a good thing. If your car is not being used then thatā€™s fine.

1 Like

Government advice is to Stay Home except for essential activities. Getting a car serviced or MoTā€™d will rarely fall into such a category ā€“ unless you drive an ambulance or fire engine. Cars donā€™t magically become unroadworthy or unsafe overnight.

Getting a car serviced and MoTā€™d at the current time just because itā€™s ā€œsimplerā€ is truly reckless endangerment. It puts at risk not just the driver, their family, and everybody who works on the vehicle, but also everybody that they subsequently come into contact with.

The penny really hasnā€™t dropped yet with some people, but anybody getting anything other than essential repairs performed to their car just now really is a Covidiot.

2 Likes

Enough.

This was a simple and responsible update to let owners (many who used these cars occasionally and sporadically) know that there was guidance published to confirm MOTs have been extended during the coming months.

It was not a soapbox for pontificating your thoughts or opinions of others during this difficult time.

3 Likes

Had an email from my dealer this afternoon to the effect that they will be closed for sales and all but essential repairs/servicing until further notice.

Sorry, but when people are dying (5 dead out of 35 residents last week in the Care Home where my elderly aunt is resident), and there is very strong guidance from the government on how to behave, then I will continue to call out as an idiot (and worse) anybody who selfishly flouts those rules and puts other peoplesā€™ lives at risk.

2 Likes

i agree with you totally the number of people that are being stupid by trying to carry on has normal is unbelievable.
do people not realise how much danger we are really in (obliviously not )
my car is due for mot may and my friend runs a mot station and i will be going nowhere near.
i work closely with the motor trade and the number of dealerships that are closed has really surprised me.

2 Likes

I am only posting to support the two previous posts, and also refer Countryboy to the previous post in which he couldnā€™t understand why the NHS and elderly shouldnā€™t mix outside a hospital facility.
When is the UK population and governement going to wake up to the crisis we all face?
I know several people with CV19, and several more who are trapped in foreign countries with no hope of repatriation.
The only people who will abuse the amended MOT regs, are the people who ignore insurance regs and drive illigaly. We would not, I am sure, let our loved ones or ourselves drive around in unsafe vehiclesā€¦MX5 or not !
If you have any doubts about your cars road worthiness please donā€™t drive it. If you relay soley on a garage to inspect / service / repair your carā€¦donā€™t use itā€¦walk ! If you canā€™t walk, get a cabā€¦or get a home delivery ( por sods who have to do that for the minimum wage ).
There are always alternativesā€¦great the governement has relaxed the rules ( two years for an MOT here in France, why should the UK be any different as ā€œweā€ have only just left the EU ") ?
Lets all pull togetherā€¦please ???

3 Likes

I read an article today where celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman, better known as ā€œMr Loopholeā€ says "If your car hasnā€™t had an MOT because of the six month test exemption you must notify your insurance company ā€“ it could affect your premium. Interesting point I hadnā€™t considered.

see the article here - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-8180853/Celebrity-lawyer-Mr-Loophole-outlines-10-point-coronavirus-road-traffic-charter.html

1 Like

I took our only working car for an MOT and check over last week. It wasnā€™t a glib decision and I confess I agonised over it, but it was the right thing to do. My girlfriend works night shifts at a hospital 40 minutes away, and so we thought it better for her to be in a safe and working vehicle for that purpose. If the car goes, so does a key worker. Our other vehicle, which is in need of work to be safe, is sat scuttled waiting for the end of The Event and will be going nowhere near a garage for now.

I guess what Iā€™m saying is that we are all dealing with difficult decisions in a situation that none of us are in any way prepared for. For every one person playing fast & loose with social isolation rules there are hundreds and hundreds desperately trying to do the right thing. Just as ā€˜not all disabilities are visibleā€™ so ā€˜not all circumstances are obviousā€™ and so whilst we must call out those flouting the guidelines, we must also be aware that we lead infinitely different lives and not everyone is able to socially isolate to the extent that they would like to.

May love and good health be with you allā€¦ :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

What about the element of good old common sense ?
Nobody is suggesting they snog the face off the MOT guy and I object to you calling people ā€œCovidiotsā€.
Sleep well in your underground bunker, no doubt piled floor to ceiling with tinned foods.
This is not the Black Death or the Great Plague for heavens sake.

As I type this, there are 37,899 people lying in hospital beds in the UK with coronavirus, including 4,076 on ventilators. 97,939 people who were alive at the start of the pandemic are now dead, due to Covid. You may not be concerned about joining them, but many of us do not want our families, friends or loved ones to die.

Itā€™s the illegal and selfish behaviour of some sectors of society (Covidiot is on the very mild side of what I would call them) which is, in part, to blame for those hospitalisations and deaths.

Instead of using your so-called ā€œcommon senseā€ (something which you appear to totally lack), perhaps you should listen to the advice of people who actually know what they are talking about, and follow both the scientific advice and the law.

3 Likes

You perhaps should go for a walk around your garden, it sounds like youā€™re suffering from cabin fever, my friend.
And, Iā€™d appreciate it if you didnā€™t personally insult my mentality. You know nothing about me so you have no foundation for aspersion.
Good day to you in totality.

1 Like

Well said Reggie.

I broke the rules yesterday. Or did I? During the last six months we have had Tesco food deliveries every Wednesday. Our friends around the corner have done the same every Sunday. Sometimes we get thing for each other. Yesterday he came around with a carrier of fruit and veg for us. This is when I broke the rules. He was standing on our drive so technically ā€˜in a private gardenā€™ rather than a public place. I went out and chatted to him. Neither of us wore masks but we were standing around 15 feet apart. So there you go. I broke the rules. Apart from the odd situation like this we have gone above and beyond with all the rules, advice and the law.

We constantly see visitors coming and going from our neighbours who have teenagers and 20 something offspring. They come and go, sharing cars going who knows where for who knows what.

We on the other hand havenā€™t been in a shop for months, just order everything online. We wash our hands after opening any deliveries. Even when we were in tier 2 we effectively put ourselves in lockdown.

We are both retired and in the fortunate situation to be able to protect ourselves and others. We all need to spare a thought to those who arenā€™t in such a good position.

2 Likes