MOT Failure 5.3.6

Well got it back already didn’t know they had even started until I checked mot website this morning to find it marked as passed.

£280 including cost of mot so chuffed sorry couldn’t take pictures it was done before even had chance to look at it.

Ref sill covers they did say that to get replacement clips from dealer was £80 but managed to not need them don’t know if that was for just sill covers or wheel arches clips as well.

In the picture below you will see my sill cover removed, note the two white plastic clips left in at the top of the skirt where the cover meets the quarter panel. These clips are the ones in the first link below, 10 per side (so 1 pack per side) should do it. These will definately break as you remove the sill cover, tbh they are the same clips as the clips holding door cards on the Mk3 as I measured them with some spares I had. You can also see where the holes are for the rest of these clips along the sill.
The lower part of the sills are held on with the larger clip, the second link down. With these I never had any break so reused the ones on the car. These clips fit into a larger hole along the lower part of the sill and the sill actually slides along and engages with these. Lower clips needed 5 each side, if you look along the lower part of the sill you can see the fixing points

To remove the sill you need to detach the rear fixing plug/screw (black) on the lower part of the sill/arch then starting at the top part rear of the sill (the two I show in the picture) prise the sill away from the clips then work along and gently remove the rest. When you get to the last clip it’s a bit fiddly to get the front most clip out, mine was a little stubborn. A trim removal tool is ideal or as I used stiff putty knife type tool wrapped in tape for protection. Once you’ve removed the upper clips and pulled the top part of the sill away all the way down it’s length (maybe two pair of hands better) you can then ease the sill rearwards and it should slide off the lower clips. I had to give mine a gentle tap on the front end or spray some silicone on the lower clips should ease it off better.

Remove all clips replace broken ones and it’s just a reverse of the procedure to refit, a bit tricky though sliding the sill back on the lower clips, two pair of hands maybe be better although I found a little swearing helped when doing it solo.

Edit also  see an exploded view of the sill ex Mellens PDF page 31 of 95 scroll down here  http://www.mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-Miata-2006-2007/exterior_trim.pdf

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/mazda-side-moulding-side-skirts-bump-strip-plastic-trim-clips-fasteners.html

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/plastic-trim-clips-for-mazda-sill-moulding-rocker-cover-trim-clips.html

1 Like

Thanks MickAP, you’re a star.
Now, do I dare do this?
Cheers
D

£280 including the MOT sounds like a result . What you need to do now is start spraying Waxoyl or similar around the other side and in fact in as many places as possible underneath . This weather is ideal for coating with  Waxoyl as it will spray on like water rather than thick wax in cold weather. 

Yeah they said it’s probably going to happen on the other side in the next couple of years.Questioned why he thought the previous MOT station showed no advisorys, said it’s hard to judge with corrosion when you’ve know idea of how the car stored run etc no timescale, it happens when it happens so some garage miss it off the mot and just tell the owner like he did with me…makes sense really 

MOT day, delayed due to lockdown etc and yes its failed same thing opposite side, one good thing the garage who did this MOT said the other side was a good repair from previous garage.

Had a bit of rust at the rear not much but failed. Got a mobile welder to look coming to do it on the drive next week £120. Just not worth messing around trying myself at that price. Mines an 07 nc.

1 Like

Back on the road £140 including MOT was warned things aren’t looking good underneath so decision time, spend some dosh,“don’t like doing this I’m from Yorkshire” or drive her then put her to rest once a big bill comes in.