MOT Failure due to emission readings

Hi apologies if this info is somewhere already but I would appreciate some advice/help.
My MK 2 W Reg 1.8 has failed the MOT for the past two years on:
Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 ©)

Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b)

I get a new cat fitted/retested and the car passes.
The car runs perfectly, is not burning any oil and always starts first time.
The only non standard part is the K&N Typhoon system, but the car has passed many times previously with this fitted.
Any ideas gratefully recieved

Hi,
Slightly confused.
You say it failed the emissions as stated, (Twice).
You then get a NEW Cat fitted and it passed.
So you found the fault and rectified it. :+1:
Just an opinion, but the cat just failed due to being old and worn out I suspect.
Like us all! :laughing:
The K and N filter should have no bearing at all really on the emissions side.
Unless I am missing something? (But I don’t think so).
All the best.

1 Like

If you are still experiencing problems get the engine Terracleaned. You can find a local garage that does it on the Terraclean website. Costs just over £100 and you can get a discount as a Owners Club Member. Cleans out the entire system and lowers emissions greatly. Also improves MPG. Had my 2.5 Icon done a couple of years ago to great effect.:grin::grin:

Hi there. I took mine for MOT last month and it initially would have failed on emissions. However, the MOT guy, who I know quite well said that the aftermarket catalytic converters need revving to about 3500rpm for a few minutes to warm them up. It then passed no trouble. He said that aftermarket ones generally hav fewer precious metals in and therefore don’t work as well until warm.
Hope that assists you.
Peter

Hi Peter
Many thanks will check their website
Aidan

Will do sounds an easy fix

1 Like

But you said the car runs perfectly?

Ive got to agree 100%

What is this thread all about

Im also at a complete loss as to what ideas your actually after.

1 Like

He is saying that the car failed the MOT on emmisions two tests ago. A new cat was fitted and passed. Now it has failed on emmisions again.
I would suspect either a different MOT station or that the first time around the garage that fitted it allowed it to warm properly as they were working on it. This time it has just been tested and failed. The test does not allow for doing “stuff” to make a car pass. As said, maybe it just needs to be hotter, or that the new one has again failed.

I keep reading the original post and still do not get that.
(If it was my wife I would get it! :laughing:).
I don’t know. :man_shrugging:
Perhaps Aidan_C could clarify the point.

If I understand correctly, the car has passed emissions only after having a new cat fitted twice in a row, and has now failed emissions again for a third time. (Or, on re-reading, it may only have failed twice and been replaced once.)

What were the actual readings? It failed on lambda and CO, but lambda is not a typical symptom of a bad cat. It’s more usually a symptom of a failing lambda sensor or of a leak in the exhaust system.

I’ve previously had a marginal fail ‘fixed’ by the tester helpfully using exhaust paste on what he suspected were minor leaks around the cat, and the car happened to pass a retest, but actually the problem later turned out to be a fracture in the exhaust manifold letting pulses of air get sucked in to mix with the exhaust, fooling the lambda sensor into thinking the car was running lean and adding fuel, making it richer and increasing CO.

By the time I found it, the manifold had cracked almost all the way around.
cracked manifold

My thoughts too when I read this.

JS

We don’t know either how often, and indeed how the car is used.
Perhaps a decent Italian Tune Up would have helped…perhaps.
Over 15 years of dual ownership, never had a Nox fail on either the Mk1 ( sans CAT) or the 2002 Sport. I’ll hopefully never know for certain, but many years back, some Club worthies advised I take them for a ruddy good caning the night before, and the morning of the MOT, sit somewhere away from folks to annoy, with 3k rpm for at least 5 minutes…preferrably with a bottle of Forte fuel System cleaner put in the night before.
Old wives? I guess it maybe worked once or twice with both or either.
I just know neither car in this respect caused any gas issues…and my MOT guy is brutal.