Motor rotation error

Good afternoon, my MX5 has an issue with the hardtop and we’ve diagnosed it to have a motor rotation error. Can anyone please provide me with any information on this subject? Local dealership are quoting motor prices of either £500 or £150 depending on which motor it is. I can only see one on each side.

Lots of problems seem to stem from the bright silver bolt, on each side of the roof mechanism, coming loose.
This would cause meshing problems, so well worth checking both are tight before going any further.

Might have replied incorrectly. Car now has flat battery which has happened in 2 days! Don’t usually have battery issues. Could this be related?

Low battery power can cause issues. Make sure the battery is in good condition to hold a charge.

1 Like

Battery condition is okay, I think. Never experienced any issues. Gear on rhs picture included as it look rather worn

999to5 which are the bolts that you refer to? Arm to lid, mounting bolts or somewhere else

The bolts he refers to are silver dome (rounded) headed Allen key bolts. There is one each side and they pull the cogs together that operate the deck mechanism. If you were to stand by either door when the deck is up and stopped over the boot, you should see a bolt horizontally with its dome head pointing to you. Using an Allen key tighten them both up. When they are loose the teeth of the cogs cut into each other and cause a clicking noise when the deck is moving open or closing.

1 Like

It’s the bolt that is almost in the center of the photo, assuming I’ve managed to upload a photo! :rofl:

1 Like

Dear Coconino, thanks very much for your reply which not only worked but has, I have no doubt, saved me a great deal of money. My next question is regarding becoming a member of the owners club, I don’t know whether you are a member and would recommend joining? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated after your first successful piece of advice.
PS you did manage to upload the photo :slight_smile:

Alan.

Hi Alan, glad to hear that you have had success, 999to5 was instrumental with his advice.
Yes I am a owners club member and have been for a few years. I think it’s more than worth while. There are discounts to be had and a decent club mag every couple of months; not to forget the free entry to rally’s that are organised by club members in various locations around the country (you have just missed the national rally which was held 8 days ago at Claydon Estate).
The country is divided into areas by the OC and each area has local meets and area activities.
Time for you to join I think.

Richard.

1 Like

@Alan_Short
Hi Aan,
patricia and I belong to the ‘Solent Area’ and as @coconino Aka Richard said its well worth joining as a full club memeber, Regards John & Patricia