Motorcycle front forks disassembly

This is well off topic , being a mx5 forum, but I know there are a few motorcyclists on here. I am trying to disassemble my old 1994 suzuki gsx750f front forks to replace the seals but I cannot seem to pull the chrome rod from the fork. The lower bolt is out, the dust seal and top circlip are off and in theory it should just pull out and bring with it a Bush and the seal but no joy, anyone else had any experience of this? Thanks.

Do you mean the bolt that points skyward and is accessed after the wheel spindle is removed is out ?

Hiya, this might be worth a look?

Depends on type of fork and TBH, its a while since I stripped and rebuilt my Kawasaki ZL 650 Eliminator forks and cant really remember how I pulled them apart?.
Barrie

Hi baabaa, no that bolt is out, bettabuild thanks for the link, that is exactly the type I have, in that clip he basically slide hammers the rod out, I am at that stage but mine wont come out, I have given it plenty of welly but it wont pop out. Have also tried with a rubber mallet on the outer casing but worried about breaking something. It’s frustrating as it looks so easy! Thanks for the replies.

1st have you removed the circlip above the fork oil seal it is easily missed? If yes then the top and bottom bush have either jammed together and is sticking at the top of the fork leg.

Warm up with a hot air gun and place in a vice get it as hot as you can and pull like hell it will come apart.

Worst case you will have to warm with a gas flame and expand the outer leg more .

Also you will be surprised how hard you have to pull your hardest and then more good luck.

1 Like

Hi yendor, thanks, you could be right regarding the bushes being stuck together, someone else I spoke to said heat it up, I was worried about the teflon on the bushes but as you say even if I had to heat it up and damage the bushes it’s not the end of the world. I think heating up is the next plan! Thanks.

Quick update, success! Heated one leg with a hot air gun and that freed it up, still needed a bit of a yank, and the other leg come out without heat but with a good old tank or two. Good tip that yendor for the hot air gun, thanks.

No problem done loads of forks let us know how you get on

All done, reassembled and forks back on the bike. Test drove and no leaks. Result!
Not sure if my imagination or not but seems to ride and handle better, I guess the new fork oil and tyre would make a difference anyway.
Thanks again all for the replies.
Just got to get my new front wing painted and put onto the mx5 now … a mans work is never done!

1 Like

Nothing better than new fork oil and tyres

1 Like