Moving threads

With this forum being as slowwwwwwwwwwwww as it is it took me over an hour the other day to post a thread starter, 

but I managed to achieve my goal of a post, with pictures, and by stretching my patience to the limit I did it without repeat posts.

So imagine how I feel when I then can’t find the thread, and find after a half hour of searching I find its been moved.

Is it posible for mods to state that its been moved, and where its been moved to, and to sign the post to say who moved it and why?

It’s just common curtesy isn’t it ?

“Piston Heads” for instance leave a link to the new position in the place where it previously was.

Thanks in anticipation,

Paul G

Which post?

If a post is moved, there is a check box that a moderator has to physically uncheck to remove a forwarding link. The default setting is for that link to remain live for 1 day, but the moderator can set it to how many days they like. I generally set the link to be live for 7 days. Thereafter the forwarding link disappears. If the post was moved to a different section, it is because the moderator felt it was posted in the wrong section, not for any other reason.

In general, mods do not discuss amongst themselves, except in the most extreme cases, such as the incidents of a few years back when a forum member threatened physical violence. So ultimately, only one person actually knows why your posting was moderated. I think the most likely reason was that you placed it in the wrong section, and therefore the posting would have received less attention, and the mod was doing you a favour.

Posts and threads can also be moved to a deleted folder, invisible to everyone except mods and admin (admin has different rights from mods). Obviously the forwarding link option is unchecked for that (you will just have a link to a forbidden area). Mods may also actually delete a thread, whereupon it disappears into the ether. I have asked other mods not to do this, but its up to them. I have no power over them.

Neither do I have any power over website or forum performance issues. Nothing to do with me. Frankly, complaints about forum performance issues should be emailed directly to members of the club committee. I know work is going on behind the scenes, but its nothing that I am a part of.

Click on your avatar name and it should show you all your recent posts so you can just click on it, and then click on your profile, you get to your post…I think. It works for me when I want to see if I have had any replies to a post and I have forgotten which part of the forum I was in.

Hi Saz, thanks for replying.

It was a post in MX5-Chat about grills thats been moved to the Technical Area, a thread you yourself replied to.

I intended it to be a general chat about grills; should it be form over function or function over form, (do you like the look of them or not etc)

I would regard a technical question about grills to be; Are the type with hexagon holes better for air flow than those with round holes, which

they obviously are.

I realise that opinions differ, and that one mans meat is another’s poison, but I’m merely asking that, if and when a thread is moved a flag

or pointer as to where its gone could be left, just out of politeness.

Many thanks for your informative post Pollyanna. I hadn’t thought of that, but will use that method in the future.

Regards

Paul G