MX-5 NC Hire near Swindon via Peer2Peer Hiyacar

So after recently purchasing my NC I decided to add it to a website called Hiyacar. So far I’ve rented it out 3 times so really not a money spinner but most of the people who have hired it have been interested in buying an MX5. So far I’ve rented it at £35 per day and Hiyacar take roughly 30% cut.

Anyway I thought I would mention it on here in case you know anyone looking to do similar.

Not for me I’m afraid.

I wonder how it works with your insurance company, had a look but nothing obvious?
Most insurances like mine for instance ask about or state, not for hire/rent in the policy.

Hiyacar email me a separate insurance policy to cover each period where the car is hired out. I don’t think I would do this with a more expensive car but as it’s not I don’t worry too much and enjoy doing the whole peer to peer thing

But surely it’s still hired out by you, therefore if your insurance says not covered for hire on the policy how does it work with them?

It’s Hiyacar who hire the car as opposed to me. Very similar to AirBnB who provide an insurance policy against damage to your home. Any claim would be handled by Hiyacar and their insurer…or at least that is my understanding.

Not convinced with that.
As you are still hiring it out to the company for both hire and indeed reward. They hire it out to people with some form of additional insurance policy. Have you seen and indeed read that policy?
Yes, you can have more than one policy on a car, but can only EVER claim on one of them. So if it gets abused/bent and you have problems with the “other” insurance policy you are up the creek without a paddle.
Just an opinion is it really worth the bother for a massive £24.50!
Enjoy your day. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Based on feedback on this post I will cancel my listing on Hiyacar. I’ve been googling and you are indeed right and one policy could well invalidate the other. I thought it would be an interesting way to generate some extra cash but in reality it’s probably not worth the bother…you live and learn…

2 Likes

Thanks for that and had NO wish to put any dampeners on things.
(But just do not like seeing good people taken advantage of). :slightly_smiling_face:

Some might look at that, and think its pretty good value for trackday car hire.

Wear and Tear not covered seems pretty significant wear in tear, including 3" gouges on wheels, 2" diameter dents, 3" scratches.