MX-5 OC Driving Roads Map

Back when we were on the old forum, I created some maps on Google Maps to show (some of!) the roads which had been submitted to this section. I’ve been meaning to repost them here, so without further ado:

Southern England

Northern England

Scotland

Wales

Abroad

Please feel free to add any more roads you want to! The more the merrier. The next task, I suppose, is to try to link them all up!

Also, if anything doesn’t work, or you think it could be done better, give me a shout. I’m always open to suggestions!

Thats great, thanks… [Y]

sticky, cause I think thats a cool map…

You’re welcome! I’m looking forward to seeing some more additions to it as well.

The B3081 from Shaftsbury to Tollard Royale has some great views and corners.

I hope everyone’s been adding their suggestions in this forum to the map!

I’ve just added the Royal Marsden Easter Run route to the map - Google Maps has had an update recently, allowing you to draw lines which follow roads, making it much easier to put routes on there! Now there’s no excuse!

Hello drivers

Best enjoyed 4K RPM and above [;)]

I tried to add St Just - St Ives to the google map but couldn’t quite work out how to save it. The road is found in deepest darkest cornwall, all the way to the end, a long way for some but worth the distance! It is a B road of varying width and some blind corners, watch out for the occasional tour bus and landrover (although I found many pull over for you if you get stuck behind them). The road twists around clifftops, troughs and peaks - a real rollercoaster. I’ve done it several times and find it gripping, a real heart pounder, the last time I drove it I stopped to let my brakes cool at St Ives, noticing my hands shaking with the adreanaline! It’s a real buzz.

Anyone know of any other good roads in the SW? there must be loads!

I’d like to add a couple of roads.

Wales: B4391 from A4212 Llyn Celyn to Ffestiniog. A quiet great mountain road with some nice straights and a few twists to keep you on your toes.  I’ve spotted 5th Gear use this road on weekdays in the past.

North England (South Lakes): The A5087 coast road from Ulverston to Barrow In Furness.  Not exciting, but very picturesque when the tide is in at Morecambe Bay.

Rather than use the Skye bridge to return to the mainland we used the Glenelg-Skye Ferry. Apart from the unique turntable ferry, the spectacular views and road to Glenelg was memorable as was the road the other side of the crossing.

A possible amendment to the suggested Llanidloes(Llani) to Machynlleth(Mach) route in mid Wales is that it’s worth hanging a left for Llyn Clwyedog and taking the anti-clockwise run around the reservoir rejoining the Llani - Llanbrynmair road west of Staylittle before further lefting it for Dylife and Mach.

ETA: dunno why i put in ‘anti’

Thanks for this, drove the A274 from Horsham to Winchester
over the weekend. Very nice road and really great scenery.

Just had a look at the Wales section, there are some fantastic roads missing.

B5105 - From Ruithin to the start of the Evo Triangle.

B4407 - High altitude drive over the mountain (single track in sections, but good visibility).

B4391 - Simply the best road EVER.

A4212 - Epic road down to Bala. Worthy of a mention is the turn-off across the dam half way along for some good photo’s.

There’s a whole bunch of other welsh roads but i am being selfish and want them all to myself Wink

Already mentioned above, but more specifically, Zig Zag Hill:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=114589362786620334955.000494176034b4a56fc43

Mark

I wasnt sure how to add a road to the driving roads map so I just created my own. This road is unbelievible and I was surprised that it wasnt on the map already. If you can make sure you check it out!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=209502055528500269234.0004ae371a3b068725846&msa=0

edit- I dont think the link works, or if I does you cant see anything :frowning: can anybody help with this problem? thanks!

http://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?vpsrc=0&ctz=-60&abauth=8b41ab46:N0r9PsMWC7oBLKf6TS0a-raxPfM&vps=2&jsv=370a&sll=50.983364,-2.13977&sspn=0.008659,0.039954&ei=NCeHTp6gCsn58QPCzZy-Bg&num=10

that should work now

The link I activated works fine, this one

takes you to North AmericaWink

hahaha, typical! I always have trouble with google map links

Found some great little roads around Grasmere and Coniston whilst in the lake district, but was still learning the capeabilities of the car as we had only had her for 5 days.  Looking forward to going to the spring rally to sample the cornish roads in a proper car.

Alot of the roads around the Ring are excellent , in fact as soon as you leave Belguim and start driving into Germany heading towards the Ring you encouter excellent roads with superb views and perfect surfaces (unlike alot of roads over here) and not a great deal of traffic to ruin your fun.