MX-5 Owners Club at the 2023 Donington Historic Festival?

I’m sure someone will be onto this already but just in case it’s not been spotted yet here’s the link for a club official to register the MX5OC for infield parking:
https://www.doningtonhistoric.com/copy-of-car-club-organisers
Always a great event and with the bonus of infield parking car-safe too. :slightly_smiling_face:

We are pre registered for Club stand, and will update in due course, it’s not guaranteed that we will take display at this years event at this time.

Yes, I’ve just received the Early Bird offers through via email. Will be interested to see when the club access comes through to get this booked!

1 Like

FWIW I hope we continue to have a club display - I’ve always enjoyed Donington Historic. It’s fab being able to take my MX5 inside the infield and be part of the event itself. We’ve such a good location and I enjoy the event more than the much larger Silverstone Clasic, which I also try and attend. I think both days with infield parking on the club display this year cost less than £20, so incredible value for money.

1 Like

Absolutely. Couldn’t agree more. Much prefer Donington over Silverstone too. A more intimate venue easily covered on foot - and many of the same competitors take part there too.

30 million people live within a 2-hour drive of Donington - so it suggests that nearly half of all OC members fall into the same bracket.

There’s no need for a formal presence with banners and a gazeebo. If we have the usual pitch though the owners organise themselves with parking up, picnics, folding chairs etc.

1 Like

Doug that is not the issue - there is a need for a presence under the agreements we take to exhibit and ergo offer discounts to members. We had c <15 cars attend last year - which is not enough to meet our agreements with the event organisers.
For a Club of this scale it was a shocker and our placement at the event is not guaranteed this year.

As ever it’s a matter of use it or lose it.

I have registered as normal and will discus with the local Area team when anything advances - all these events are our the blocks for tickets massively early for 2023 - this Thruxton, Silverstone and the Goodwood events are already selling tickets before any real arrangements in place.

Thanks for the explanation Ian - makes sense. Hopefully DHF will let us have a club space again. I’d agree though - very few cars on the Saturday from memory, but more on the Sunday.

Your surprise me with that number. I don’t know where that came from as I have photos taken on the Sunday showing between 18 and 24 cars depending on the time of day they were taken. (24 at 14:22 on the Sunday.) FAR more than a number of other club displays, some of the entries for which you could count on the fingers of one hand! To show MX5OC members commitment, parked to one side of me on the Saturday was a guy who’d driven down from Scotland for the weekend and on the other someone from Cumberland there for the day!

I was there both days from early (taking photos in the paddock on Saturday at 8am and 7:45am Sunday) until late on both days (21:03 the last photo on Saturday!)

I would have sent photos in for the mag’ or website/FB page but there were two guys there who said they were from the club, taking photos and doing a report for the magazine, so I held back from doing so. Can’t say I saw anything from them though, although they spoke with the Scottish guy and discussed my car - a black LM - at some length.

Given there were still spikes of Covid outbreaks, the MX5OC had one of the highest numbers of attendees, so what number are we commited to?

1 Like

Ah, just had a thought as to why numbers may appear to have been low in 2022?

Previous years admissions bought before Covid but carried over when two previous Historics were cancelled?

I bought tickets for the 2020 meeting, which was cancelled but the tickets were rolled forward to 2021, then 2022 when that was also cancelled.

Possible?

2 Likes

Same for me too - mine were 2020 rollovers. I’d still say there were very few MX5s on display on the Sat though.

That’s pretty much the case

1 Like

Mm? Do the sums add up? Donington £36 for two day ticket. 70 mile round trip £14.50 petrol per day. £65 in total for two days. Silverstone £136 for three day ticket (best value). 190 mile round trip £40 petrol per day. Like for like two day visit £216 in total. Maybe Silverstone, Goodwood and Thruxton are OK if you live below the Worcester/Cambridge line. A lot of us don’t.

3 Likes

Curborough Sprint is pretty close by and around 40 turned up for that in September, the day before the National.

1 Like

Apples and Oranges

I was highlighting a potential difference between pre and post Covid turnout. Apples and Oranges probably - as not everyone there was going to the National, half and hour away.

This is one event I would like to attend if the club gets a stand … :wink:

1 Like

Fingers crossed that the club gets the same access as last year. I think that even though there was only ~15 cars on stand, it was 15 more than a great deal of other very well known and supported marques / car clubs… I was very surprised indeed walking around Historic this year quite how many club pitches were completely empty!

I, like several others are very much looking forward to attending the event, together with the ‘Festival’ at Silverstone in the summer (fingers crossed Silverstone don’t go and mess up a perfectly good recipe!

2 Likes

Just on a slight tangent… From all the talk in the paddock at Historic, there was a buzz in the air that Donington / one of the associated organisations such as The Historic etc would be doing something to celebrate 30 years since Senna’s ‘Lap of the Gods’ (April 1993?). It would have been fantastic to have been able to celebrate such a landmark, but as far as I’m aware nothing has come to fruition? Anyone know any more?