MX-5 Prices

Hi guys, 

When I first bought my Mk2.5 Sport, I paid very little for it, considering it is a low mileage, 6 speed manual, leather interior with matching hardtop. My thought’s were to purchase the car, keep it for a few years, do some minor modifications, then sell it, hoping to make a little bit more than what I paid. I’ve seen similar mileage MX-5 Mk2s (with 5 speed gearbox’s and not sport models) and even higher mileage Mk3s sell for anywhere between £4000 and £6000, but have just seen x2 MK2.5 Sports with 6 speed gearbox’s and lower mileage than mine for sale at around £3500?! 

Are 6 speed manual MK2.5 Sports less desirable and worth less than a standard 5 speeds or are those 2 I’ve seen for sale stupidly cheap?

1 Like

Mk2s are still depreciating; they are yet to hit rock bottom, and find the collectability spark.

A-aron,

You appear to be getting confused between the asking price and the sale price of these 15 to 20 year old cars. They sell for what people will pay for them. I would not read anything in reality into these asking prices.

What you have not supplied is the recent selling prices of similar cars probably as you do not have this data as you are not in the market at the moment.

I have had friends who have sold clean mk1’s recently and they have not had a que of people at their door and have not got anywhere near the very high prices advertised online.

A lot of run of the mill, clean MG’s are treading water price wise due to good supply of cars but certain Triumph TR cars and selling well in certain areas.

I would not consider lowish priced second hand sports cars as a long term investment. Buy at a sensible price and enjoy your car, end of story.

2 Likes

For the best indication of achievable price check out completed listings on eBay.

Popped my 5 into WBAC for some giggles and 2 weeks ago they were offering me over 2300… got an email saying price has been updated a lot gave me this.

Interesting to see such a large drop within 14 days. Pretty much as the weather has changed!

Anyone else keep keep an eye on this and seen anything similar?

I don’t think that’ll be for an ND but could be any other model😁 which is it?

1 Like

Dammit…clicked wrong button!

It’s NC 2006. Kept milage the same which it pretty much is… only about 300 miles since last month

I wouldn’t want to know the price of mine, probably less than I paid nearly two months ago easily. Despite what some say, winter is upon us soon and the prices will be on the decrease. By how much it remains to be seen.
Private sale is always king for anything I reckon over 10 years old, even MX-5’s.

Of course… I’m always interested though in "trade values ’ … I’ve been offered ALOT more than this privately, even more than I bought it for earlier this year and its not even for sale !

But… 20% drop in 1 month!!! Something doesn’t seem right.

Just to add some data - I bought my 08 NC1 2.0 sport PRHT with 55k miles and survice history for 5k privately last week, seemed like a pretty fair price all things considered. Just did a WBAC for giggles and got offered 3830.

Seen a few non sports go for mid 4s and others in the same trim/spec as mine for 6-8 depending if private or dealer. Not 100% confident (I started looking while abroad mid last year) but prices seem around ~500-1000 higher than then, but please feel free to correct me.

Some of the cars I noted in my search, all private PRHT 2.0 NC1s

I’ve been tracking the prices of ND2’s (2.0) for a few months hoping they would come down.
(using webuyanycar)
I keep putting the same reg of a 19 plate ND2 (2.0L) in with 12K miles.
I started in June and it was £19,500 ish (didn’t write it down). The Car was on Autotrader for £19K!,
Then went up to
£20,124 in July.
£21,830 in August.
£22,145 Early September.
£21,260 Mid September.
£20,375 Early October.
£19,265 October 13th.

So yes bad weather has reduced prices, but also only the very keenly priced cars are selling.

1 Like

I own a truly mint condition MX5NC1 It’s truly a museum piece not even a single stone chip or tiniest blemish on its entire body. Spent over a thousand quid having it lowered and with many extras to personalise it. 54,000 miles Up for £5500 Had 650 views but no offers … I’d not sell it for a penny less than my asking price

Retail prices of ND’s has only fallen a few hundred pounds but trade offers have dropped significantly.

We buyanycar now offering £3K less for a 2019 ND2 2.0L than Early September.

Should start to filter through into used car prices soon (fingers crossed)

Motorway seem to still be offering high prices. Try the same reg and see what they state?

Yep, can confirm motorway are still offering silly money - £850 more than I paid retail for mine back inMarch.

WBAC just emailed me earlier offering ~500 more (4300) for my 08 NC :face_with_monocle:

That’s a good first offer from them for a 2008, my near immaculate 2007 ZSport is hovering around £2700 ! nearly sold it for nearly double that back in early Summer to a neighbour but he’s bought a Porsche now. Think I’ll hold on till Spring now but won’t be through WBAC at that valuation.

Just be careful using WBAC for getting values for your car. They assume you need to sell it quickly and deliberately reduce the value each month to make you panic about any further reductions coming. It’s just like airline flight prices increasing each time you go on their website to check on prices before booking. My wife and I have tested this. The booking price goes up for a second quote even if you make it 10 minutes later. My wife requested a quote at the same time and she was quoted the price I was originally given. Insurance companies do the same. They tell you that the premium changes from day to day which in one experience I had was a £50 increase in one day!