MX-5 versus small deer

Oof! Munted, as they as downunder.

They are the most spectacularly brainless creatures, second only to pheasants.

Hope the damage isn’t too bad

New grille, new bumper, even though it is unscratched, however broken clips at the rear, water and a/c radiator ruined.

While accepting that you were travelling sensibly and legally, it is (in my opinion) important to remember that the deer were here before motor vehicles and describing them as “brainless” is disrespectful. Not their fault if they aren’t programmed to comprehend a large lump of metal hurtling towards them.

4 Likes

Wow - I simply posted something I thought would have been of interest due to the 1 in a million chnace of a similar result happening again (the folding of the deer into the remarkably small aperture at the front of the car).

So far - the post has been flagged as inappropriate ( I assume becuase of the pics?) but only a robot has told me and I can’t see where it has broken forum rules. Can only assume someone is ‘offended’ by a pic of a dead deer.
Then someone has been critical of my driving without any idea of when and where it happened.
And someone else has been accusing another poster here of being disresepectful of deer by calling them brainless.

I think I’ll shove on and leave this forum and its strength - giving the word ‘woke’ a bad name.

2 Likes

Muntjack deer have a habit of diving out the hedge, they aren’t the smartest. Luckily I was in the Ranger when I hit one.

Muntjac are incredibly smart at foraging and breeding otherwise they would not survive in an alien environment. Sadly accidents are by definition inevitable but I wouldn’t want to shame the deer from the security of a motor vehicle.

1 Like

Went for a drive last night though Epping Forest and a stunning stag crossed my path. I had my side lights on so put on the main lights. 2 seconds later and it would have been far more dangerous scenario. My initial thought was I’m in the deers environment.

1 Like

Woke - being ‘aware’ or ‘well informed’ in a political or cultural sense. - however it is so regularly misinterpreted when people want to insult something that it has become completely adulterated.

Not really relevant, I think some people took exception to the quite graphic images of a deer in a very small space, and then there was some name calling which is not appropriate or welcomed from anyone. Play the ball not the player.

Anyway, deer along with pheasants don’t have road sense and are usually unavoidable when they instinctively react or don’t as the case may be.

1 Like

A forum isn’t a person. I expect to find most opinions and attitudes here somewhere. Maybe we even have a few deer.

We have muntjacs in abundance here in Herts/Beds/Bucks, some Chinese water deer, and some larger species such as red and fallow deer. They seem to be able to appear almost anywhere, we have had two muntjac in the garden this weekend. The big ones seem the worst adapted to traffic, muntjac haven’t much road sense either but seem to potter more than run about.

I know two people whose cars have been written off in collisions with the larger ones. In both cases the injured animals had to be dispatched which they found distressing. They emerge from wooded areas and where there is one there are frequently others following. There are some stretches where I see them frequently especially post-midnight when the traffic has mostly stopped and I proceed with caution, but I’m not sure there’s a safe speed. So far I’ve been ‘lucky’ except for a running fox that broke the aircon on my Galaxy about 30 years ago. It must have been injured but ran off so I wasn’t able to help it.

I hope the repairs will be satisfactory. Does your car not have a deployable bonnet or did it just not go off?

No airbags, hood was untouched (as was in fact all of the white bodywork, incredibly). I think I must have hit it in exactly the spot where it would have died instantly, done minimal damage to the vehicle and in what seems miraculous, ended up as it did inside the black grille area.
There was a vehicle some way ahead of me that pulled into the right lane for no apparent reason. Before I had time to react, there was this flash of a deer in my headlights for about a second. No time to even hit the brakes or begin to steer away.
Had I been the lead vehicle, I would have seen the animal in my high beams and done what the car in front did. My headlights were obv on low beam as I was behind someone.
It’s a perfect example of wrong place, wrong time - for me and the deer.

2 Likes

As shown in earlier post when the stag is too big to fit through the grill the result is different

Where I live we are surrounded by farmers fields, all single carriageway national speed limit with drainage/irrigation ditches along either side of most main roads and some hedge linings with no paths. We don’t have deer but do get foxes, pheasant, rabbits and the like. Roadkill is a fact of life. It’s unfortunate to hit anything that might jump out on you but if people swerved or anchored up every time the amount of accidents would be horrendous.

1 Like

The real question is……how tasty was the venison ? :grin:

2 Likes

2 Likes

A lot have asked - unfortunately it was marinaded overnight in coolant, so I politely declined.

2 Likes

Muntjac deer are an introduced species; they shouldn’t even be here.

Nor should Pheasants, Red-legged Partridge, Little Owls, Grey Squirrel, Canada Geese, Ring-necked Parakeets… There is a long list.

1 Like

Oddly enough, the Little Owl is the smallest owl in the UK.