MX5 2010 2.0 NC new oil capactity

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2010
  2. I’m based near: __London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Oil level

Guys I have just replaced the oil and filter on my Mx5 2010 NC and have found that even with around 4.9 litres of oil the oil doesnt not seem to have come up the dipstick. I have left the car stand for an hour. Its 4.9 Litres about what I need

I’ve got the NC1 2ltr so pre 2008. With my oil and filter change it usually takes around 4.6 litres👍
Are you reading the stick correctly? I wouldn’t be putting any more in unless an NC2 owner can confirm it takes more than the NC1 2ltr.

Edit…just seen the picture, turn it over and read the other side. Even better get the newer dipstick.
Let the oil settle then dip the oil again, let’s say overnight and check where it shows on the stick…

thanks for the prompt response. Ive added some photos

Just to add, the more you dip the oil the more erratic the read will be with that dipstick.
Leave overnight and check again when the oil has returned down the tube, a clean reading
My guess is you’ve over filled if you’ve stuck 4.9 ltrs in.

If I have overfilled it (which according to the manual I may have by 0.4 Litre) is there any detrimental effect on the car???

This is the problem with the dipstick you have, hard to read. I’ve now fitted the new type dipstick from Mx5parts. The difference below.
Original dipstick inserted straight after withdrawing the new dipstick. Clearly it shows to the upper mark mark (full) on the new one. When withdrawn the original stick well, can you tell what the level should be?

I would take a little out if you can, maybe with a suction tool via the dipstick.
Others may have differing thoughts on this hmm?

2 Likes

thanks my friend, I have a huge syringe but am reluctant to try to insert a tube down the hole. Im going to try and remove about .5l using the sump nut It will then be in line with the manual

Manual states 4.55 litres with filter so about 0.35 litres over. I would not worry too much if you drained it warm and got most of the old out.

thanks for your help people. Ive drained 0.5L so have now added 4.5L total. Have also changed the plugs which was the first change for 60000 and 10 years (photo attached)

2 Likes

I would be appreciative on any thoughts as to whether the plug characteristics indicate a good or bad engine etc

They look ok to me from what I can see. Doesn’t look like it’s burning oil, pretty clean infact.:+1:

1 Like