MX5 ISE Induction Noise Resonator

Probably. Just don’t see the point why fill the cabin with engine noise? Sooner listen to the radio or my music

1 Like

If I hadn’t read this and other threads elsewhere, previously, I wouldn’t have known about it? My Sport Tech has it but the noise, or as I like to call it, the sound, is fine by me :+1: I’m not even sure I know what it sounds like, it’s just there, on my car and has been all the time I’ve owned it :thinking: However, like most things, each to their own and if folk who’ve removed it, prefer it that way, then that’s a good thing too!

Barrie

2 Likes

Barrie I had a 2007 2L Mk3 without the Induction Noise Resonator and the noise difference in my 2013 Sports Tech with it is noticeable and I don’t want it :wink:

2 Likes

Hiya, yes I guess that’s it? You’ve something to compare with? My previous NC didn’t have it, but for the life of me I couldn’t tell the difference? Both with aftermarket exhausts, current car PRHT etc, but probably my hearing? Sorry, what was that? :rofl::rofl:

Barrie

3 Likes

Noise, extraneous or otherwise is pointless in my opinion, there are totally deaf people who enjoy driving! Handling and comfort are MUCH more important! So if a car is silent and handles like a dream and I don’t get back/neck ache - mission accomplished!!! :heart:

2 Likes

Masses of discussion and conflicting opinions on this topic can be found on certain “Miata” forums but it almost all relates to 2 litre engines. However on page 32 of a 39 (!) page thread I at last came across a clear opinion from the UK owner of a 1.5 ND. I hope I’m not doing something improper etiquette-wise if I quote one WipeOut:-

“I was sceptical. But frustrated with the engine noise level in my UK 1.5 ND. Last night I removed the sound tube with the kit. People are right, the car is much better without! Much quieter and easier to live with the car. No more artificial kazoo sound! “

So I am minded to go ahead and order the deletion kit unless someone soon comes up with a contrary opinion.

2 Likes

Go for it! My 2015 ND 1.5l didn’t have one, but my 2019 ND 30AE 2.0l did, and that was removed IMMEDIATELY I got the car, I had the replacement kit ready and waiting! In my opinion it’s a just a PPP - Pointless Plastic Pipe!!!

1 Like

Can some one actually come up with a solution to the removing of the noise resonator that doesn’t cost money or very little.
On Wheeler Dealers ‘Ant’ built a baffle for the Miata Speed they bought to sell on that’ll be good but my metal work skills aren’t that good. The £78 I’d have to fork out to install the MX5spares resonator removal kit cannot be worth it.

There’s a thread on this forum: Log In

Turning off the Sound Tube without removal? - Quick Hack?

More suggestions on the US Miata forums. Various bungs, sponges, bottle tops,disconnections - that sort of thing. To do a “proper” job on the Mk4 with the correct kit costs around £40. Just Google “sound tube deletion kit”.

For me false induction noise through a resonator box sounds ■■■■
if it was a nice set of throttle bodies of better still a set of side draft carbs that would be different
Each to there own thou.

1 Like

Maybe @DuratecNC can turn up some more bungs for a few quid each??

Having come from a decatted Impreza the NC is like a Rolls

Not for the later Mk3s it ain’t more like £78

My solution cost nothing. You just remove the part of the tube “after” the section which housed the resonator. It’s in two parts. If you lift out the whole assembly you can see where it’s mated together Then blank off the bulkhead hole. Job done.

2.0 litre ND2, but maybe relevant to some.
I couldn’t work out what the horrible noise above about 3500 rpm was. Even in 6th I could hear it above all the road noise.
Hmmm. Throttle position related. Must be induction or exhaust, or some plastic part resonating.
I’d read about Mazda’s little joke, but had no idea it was this bad.
Got home after collecting car, lifted bonnet, found pipework, and removed it.
Put a Grommet in the bulkhead from my box of ‘things that may come in useful one day’ box, and plugged the end of the resonator part with a rubber cap, from the same box.
Result: no more induction noise. Perfect.
Picture shows as it is now, with the offending connecting pipe for reference.image image

1 Like

I could make some if there was any interest.

2 Likes

I think you should. I’ll have one please

1 Like

I got the Mk4 kit from mx5parts. Removing the sound tube makes the engine bay look a lot tidier, the car is a bit quieter and I’ve lost half a kilo in weight from the car.

2 Likes

Which models have the ise installed?

Does anyone no of any ise delete videos for an nc2

Cheers