MX5 ISE Induction Noise Resonator

1. My model of MX-5 is: _Mk3
  2. I’m based near: __Bodmin
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __MX5 ISE Induction Noise Resonator
    Is it true this is just fitted to give a sporty noise inside the car?
    I know there is a kit out there to remove it but can I not just take a hacksaw to the hose/pipe and bung the hole up in the bulkhead with something?
    What ever I do will it reduce the performance of the car?

I know that there is also a similar device on the Mk4. It weighs about half a kilo and all it does is pipe induction noise into the cabin. I thought myself of removing it, as long as you correctly bung up the hole where it is attached to (both ends). However I thought in the end - what is the point of doing this? It may reduce the sound in the cabin a bit, but I have not isolated that noise. It will not affect performance by being removed. Having said that I am adding a kilo of sound deadening insulation to the boot floor over the next week to reduce noise. It is purely in your head - messing with MX5’s does not always make logical sense…

1 Like

You probably don’t need a hacksaw, it’s removable. Whether you actually need a kit or just a couple of corks I don’t know.

I’d be inclined to remove it non-destructively. It would be a bit of an own goal if you liked it less without the extra noise.

The ND 1.5 doesn’t have it, or at least the Arctic doesn’t. If anything I’d like it to be quieter still, I don’t get the fondness that some have for noisy exhausts and induction. I was quite impressed with the sound of the twin 40’s on my Holbay Hunter sucking petrol through, but I was in my early twenties then. Now, I’d rather not set my tinnitus off!

1 Like

Those were the days. I had a set of twin 40’s on my 1500 GT Corsair with a Burton stage 2 head and open ram pipes, 17mpg driving sensibly and about 9mpg driving it briskly. :grin:

Similar topic a few days ago

1 Like

Sounds about right!

1 Like

So is there a need for this system to add noise to the cabin?
Is this system any use to anything?

I removed mine nearly straight after buying the car
I bought the oem bulkhead plate and a new intake hose
also you need to re mount a solenoid
all in all a nice easy job which gets rid of some rubbish under the bonnet you dont need but more importantly the engine sounds a lot smoother with out it
The false intake noise it produces is horrible and the fact its a pointless piece of equipment its best off gone in my opinion but were all different .

1 Like

Tell me more what’s there OEM bulkhead plate and the solenoid that needs to be fitted?

Often called the “sound tube”, I’m persuaded that removal is worthwhile in the case of the Mk4 2 litre engine, at least 4 videos on YouTube show how it’s done. I’d welcome any experience specifically with the 1.5 Mk4.

Advice please I am going to remove the ‘sound tube’ but I was thinking of an induction Mod Can I do both jobs just using one Mod?
Fred

I just turned up a bung on the lathe and stuck it in the pipe, fastened it back together so it looks stock and left it at that.

1 Like

Below is the link to the parts if you want it OEM
i bought the parts trade off Mazda so was a little cheaper
You Dont need a solenoid you just need to remount it as its mounted to the current sound tube
Hope this helps a little .

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/removal-mk3-35-p-4285.html

I ain’t paying £78 I’ll just blank off the end for nowt

Mine came off as per my other posts. Sounded horrible Now it’s gone i’m really happy. Some people say it makes no difference. it totally does.

2 Likes

I think that with other noises in the car with the hood up (rare I know), it is probably difficult to isolate. I had the hood up this morning as it was chucking it down, but as I was listening to music I did not really consider other noise, but after I have added the sound deadening over the next week I may notice these other sounds more.

So what did you do Sautah?
Did you buy a removal kit or just blank of the end?
Fred

Click on the blue writing

1 Like

As per my post , I’ve removed the section from the resonator part to the bulkhead. The assembly is actually two separate parts. So the bit that fixes to the bulkhead is now removed. I’m left with the resonator part which still resonates but only into the engine bay so I can’t hear it.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that likes the noise in the MK3? I have no problem with it , I’m surprised so people want to remove it

1 Like