MX5 Merlot Special Edition 1996

Hi

Only last week I Bought my first MX5  Can Anyone give me advise on the Immobiliser I Have a Key Fob but it does not

talk to the Car there  are 2nd Key with the car but I don"t where one fits, we understand it may have something to do with the 

Immobiliser cut of switch  they only made 600 of this model I have all the History to including  the show room brochure 

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have a Merlot too. I am a little confused by your post but I am happy to compare notes. Mine has the inbuilt chip into the key that is energised, as I understand it from the ignition. The chip is “hidden” within the key itself and not one a separate fob. Does your car have an independent alarm?

Hi

All that I can say is it has a Radio Control Alarm System Foxguard The Fob came with the car.

on the back it reads MPT 1340 W.T.LICENCE Exempt all indications are it came with the car from New…

Peter

I think your fob may be an additional alarm and not necessarily an imobiiliser as there is one in place as part of the cars standard build.   I know it might seem obvious but is the battery power good on the fob?  I know sometimes just some lower power can cause problems

Hi

Battery on the Fob is New Documents I have state Foxguard Security System fitted on 30/07/96 1 month after first Registration 

The Unit was not fitted bye Mazda but if yo look at the Description no doubt you no this,

Mazda produced 600 units of this car and it was finished in Vin Rouge Mica named after the Merlot wine as it was closest in colour. Interior is grey with burgundy piping, wooden effect centre console, wood gear knob and wooden handbrake sleeve. The exterior has colour coded mud flaps with specially made 15” alloy wheels with locking wheel nuts and Dunlop SP2000 tyres included in the package. The package also included power steering, security immobiliser and Clarion CD player.

It is a mystery my Fob only has 2 Buttons and Red Light not like the one in my book has no optional Button 3 yet this car was fitted with this System when New ???

Thanks for your help may see you in October Blue Anchor Run

Have you googled this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Radio+Control+Alarm+System+Foxguard&oq=Radio+Control+Alarm+System+Foxguard&aqs=chrome…69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hi

newbie to mx5 ownership, last month I bought a 1996 Merlot from my local salvage yard. It is running with mot till next year so driving while tinkering to tidy it up.

mine has the security built in to the key with an icon on the dash ‘securit’ which goes out soon after turning ignition on presumably having recognised a chip in the key.

my son has just got a 1999 with fob but I think it is only an alarm, on his there is a strange box in the centre console with a keypad.

Hi Peter, I hope this will help.

Re-Synchronising Foxguard Alarms
Mar 96
Foxguard have found that a large proportion of returned F1-11 units are not actually faulty but simply out of synchronisation with the Radio Key. The F1-11 uses a random encryption antiscan grabcoding system. If the Radio Key is operated out of range of the car the key wilI transmit a coding signal but the receiver in the alarm will not recieve it. If this happens the coding in the Radio Key moves on but the unit will not. This will cause problems if the Radio Key is regularly pressed and released while out of range.

If the Radio Key no longer operates the alarm systern, try the spare one. If the system is operating correctly this indicates the first remote is simply out of synchronisation. It is possible to resynchronise the Radio Key:

1. Stand next to the car.
2. Press the left hand button on the Radio Key, the LED on the Radio Key will become solid.
3. Keep the button depressed for at least 3-4 seconds.
4. Release the button and immediately press the button again for 1-2 seconds. 

The Radio Key is now back in synchronisation with the alarm. You may have to try a few times before the system will respond correctly, if you don’t do step 4 quickly enough - the button need only be released for a split second.