Mx5 mk1 Handbrake

Hello Peeps,

I have some questions about the rear handbrake. The other week I went to drive off after not driving it for about a month and found when I put the handbrake down it didn’t disengage so I couldn’t drive away. Today I found out it was the back left wheel that was causing the most issues so I took the wheel off and checked. The wheel didn’t budge at all so I took out my calliper key adjuster which you use with a allen key and untightened it. When I took off the calliper off the brake pads were actually stuck to the disc so I knocked them gently off with a hammer. I then put them back in and used the calliper key to get them tight enough that the disc didn’t spin with the handbrake on and put everything back together.

I was just wondering why it did this? I know the weather has been hot with summer but wondered if this will happen again?

Thoughts?

Thanks

David

I never leave handbrake on when parked for a long period as they are prone to sticking on.

2 Likes

This👍

2 Likes

We’ve had some serious rain in the last month and this is what will have initiated the problem with the pads sticking. Has to be left outside, so given the relatively porous nature of MX5 Wheels, rain would have got to the discs and kind of corrode welded the pads on.
recent hot, dry weather would not not have caused this.
Unfortunately MX5 brake discs do not weather well when car left outside and unused. May be worth fitting wheel covers to prevent water ingress if left for more than a couple of weeks without use and rain likely.

Brilliant advice guys, Yeah I should have mentioned it has been hot humid wet weather so that would make sense. The rear discs had a lot of surface rust despite being quite new I noticed as well.