MX5 mk2.5 best spec?

So, I’ve finally been convinced by many people to get one of these little bad boys.

I’m struggling to find the list of different features and actually differentiate between Sport and SVT?

I want to go for a mk2.5 so I can get the LSD (Torsen - so 2001-2002), 5 speed seems to be the one to go for, and also I would like ABS (I think all mk2.5s have it) and preferably aircon. I think one of them runs the bigger brakes too?

Is there anything I should be avoiding? I know a bit about the rust issue and where to look, so that shouldn’t be a problem for me.

Many thanks!

The MK2.5 1.8 sport is an SVT sport with the 1.8 VVT engine.

It is the best spec MK2.5 but does always come with the 6 speed gearbox which seems to work very well with this car.

As you have been correctly informed, the earlier SVT sport up to 2002 came with the better torsen diff as the Fuji version that followed in 2003 has a reputation for failure.

Given the age of these cars and associated rust issues particular attention needs to be given to front chassis rails, rear sills, condition of brakes, etc.

Getting much harder to find a good one of these for less than £2000.   

Simple really, Sport was the top trim level and included 16" alloys, 6-speed gearbox, LSD, additional chassis bracing, and larger brakes front & rear.

SVT (Sequential Valve Timing) was a feature of the 1.8 engine from 2001 onwards.  It’s not exclusive to the Sport.

Good luck with the search. Good examples are few and far between now, pretty much just down to corrosion issues, and AC was never a standard option so there are very few with that.  

Sport as top of the range as noted already had a few extra bits including the 6 speed box, and externally also had fog lights in the front bumper whereas the other just had plastic grilles. 

Later ones, sometime just after 2002 had a cloth hood instead of the vinyl, a chrome fuel flap and I think got yellow bilstein dampers but as mentioned the dif changed to one that appears to be a bit less robust. 

Let us know how the search goes. I’m aware of one local to me that could be available.

Thank you for the replies kind people! Sometimes it’s just easier to ask I guess hah.

Like I said, I will start my search but take it easy, no rush at the moment. Apart from things like the clutch judder, my main focus will be to get one with the least rust :slight_smile:

Best spec is a Sport with the 2mm thick single skin chassis rails. 

Harder to find though than an honest opinion of a Fuji diff.

Not standard on the mk2.5 though, is it? All come with the two layer chassis rail as far as I’m aware

All the Mk 2.5’s in Church Street have got them.  

Says the man with an MX5 SVT sport fitted with a Fuji diffWink

I’m sure Paul has changed the diff oil which in theory is the best thing you can do to extend its life. 

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the durability of these (VVT) engines? I’ve seen a lot of 100k mileage cars, so not sure if that’s something to consider.

They are hard as nails if treated to shorter oil intervals.

I’ve changed ours that we have owned for 15 years every 5k or annually whichever happened first.

At 105k miles, it’s as oil tight and smooth despite 11 years of the worst short commute treatment (before it retired 4 years back) with us  as the day we bought it with 44k on the clock from a careful one-owner source with full dealer service stamps.

Mind you, it perhaps on ly does 3k per annum now, and is never used unlless it’s a longish trip…big difference on oil form  6 miles round trip commutes 5 days per week when it spent 30% of it’s time on ECU enrichment…worst thing for an engine.

My oil drops out after a year still honey coloured. In my view…it’s just beginning to give it’s best.

Problem is, not everyone is so “on it” as much as people like me.

Trouble is, they are old multiple -owner cars and you should assume some of them have not been sympathetic, just buying them cheap, thrashing them for a summer, then moving them on.

Miata.net have plenty examples of both Mk1s & 2s romping past 250k miles ( I think there is a  500,000 Mile *club" or section)  …but then the Americans lube much cheaper than we, and there is nowt we can tell them about high miles.

Just to muddy the waters, I didn’t want a sport.

In short, I didn’t get on with the ride quality with the bilstein shocks fitted to the sport model.

On top of that, I’ve read that the 5 speed box is a little more reliable than the 6 speed.

So for me, the optimum spec was a 2001-2003 model of a euphonic, arizona or phoenix, which as far as I know all have Torsen LSDs, along with a very similar interior.

Thanks man!

Yeah, I’m not really bothered about the suspension parts it’s running, as they all probably have old bits that are worn out with loads of hysteresis and stiction which will drive me crazy until I swap them out and tune the setup to my own liking.

I’ve heard a mixture of opinions about the gearbox, which is why I’m keen to test different cars.

I’m on a similar journey, and found this video very useful :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrR9j7gNjY

… if you can stand 1.5 hours of MX5 facts!

Just my 2 pennys worth…

Having had more than 10 mk2.5’s now…my absolute favorite was the Montana, which had the aicon, as well as cream leather and wooden Nardi bits. Came with the mohair roof as standard as well as a hardtop…available in Racing Green or Garnet red.

http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/montana.htm

No LSD, Torsen or otherwise, but happy to forego that.

Only 500 of each colour I believe, so probably hard to find in decent condition.

I’ve seen a couple of the racing green ones but I don’t know how I feel about the cream leather, would have to see it in person but usually not my thing

That’s great, sooooo informative. Thank you!