MX5 MK3 Airbag Light

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help with an airbag light problem, 3 long and 3 short flashes?

I have today replaced the drivers airbag / horn button as the old horn button was smashed up like someone previous had tried to get the horn button off with a screwdriver. So like a sensible new owner sourced a second hand airbag matching part numbers, disconnected the battery removed the airbag and replaced it. Seemed ok can’t say i noticed anything flashing then replaced the drivers seat belt as it did not retract hardly at all. So seat has been out etc I have checked the white plug several times under the seat.

Only after I changed both items did I notice the 3 long and 3 short flashes. I did try the old airbag but get the same error. Can anyone help?

Found this:-

The possible SRS 33 airbag error reason/s;

Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open

Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open

Restraint System - Safety Belt Pretensioner Status (Driver Pretensioner Circuit Failure)

1 Like

i’d guess the seatbelt pre tensioner I replaced then is at fault. Will swap it back to the original one tomorrow :frowning: :unamused:

:crossed_fingers:

The most common airbag fault on an NM is the plug under the passenger seat. Try reaching under the seat and squeezing the plug together and see if that alters anything. To do it properly you need to loosen the seat… It can be caused by something moving about under the seat

2 Likes

Code 33 only relates to the drivers side seat belt pre-tensioner not the passengers. The passenger side is 34.

Yup, that’s what the info I found says.

Richard.

Your reply says passenger side…

Can’t agree with you on that!

The other 2 possibles do, they should all read drivers side. It could be 5he wiring or the pre-tensioner itself causing the fault.

1 Like

Tell the author. I just copied and pasted from a web site giving Mazda airbag codes… didn’t specify models but I read the 3rd one and having read the OP had removed his drivers seat…

Richard.

Just to update everyone the wire to the drives side pre tensioner seat belt was loose, now snuggly connected and no errors.

Thank you everyone :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice one.

Richard.