MX5 MK3 BATTERY

I had a new battery fitted on my MX5 MK3 in Sept 2017 at a Mazda dealership, the cars mileage was 26600.

My car is currently at a Mazda dealership as the battery is losing charge, the car has

only done 3000 miles since the battery was replaced in Sept 2017, the dealership

have told me a cell has gone in it and I need another battery.

The Mazda part number for the battery is: B3D3-18-520 9D Battery JIS-46B

My question is please I’m getting conflicting information on how long the above battery warranty

is, one dealership says 2 years another 3?

Would someone please be able to tell me the definitive answer, I’ve checked online and can’t find the information.

Thanks in advance

Your battery life will depend on how you look after it, low mileage with out the use of a battery charger the battery wont last long at all…when you use the car do you go for a good drive to give chance for the battery to charge back up.

Contact Mazda UK and formally ask the question of them.

I would suggest you do it in writing to suit the type of conformation that you want as you will get the confirmation in writing.

You are wasting your time posting here as you are getting an answer from non offical sources.

I have contacted Mazda already regarding the warranty.

Sorry if this was a wasted post…

Thanks for your reply Bruce, one of the reasons I’ve not been using the car a great deal

as it’s been in Mazda on and off the months with a water leak , so it’s partly Mazda’s fault

anyway, but a 2 year battery warranty if it is that, isn’t long these days, especially as it cost

over £100, you would have thought they would have the confidence in their batteries to

give a longer warranty. 

A battery under warranty wouldn’t be covered if certain criteria’s are not met. I do warranty testing on Yuass batteries if the tester comes back replaced advised the battery warranty will not be honoured no matter how old the battery is.It just means that a cause other than the battery has caused the failure in your case maybe lack of use.The only warranty we will honour is bad cell.Sick and tired of customers turning up with AA/RAC reports saying replaced advised and expecting a refund 

Mazda have advised me that it’s a cell in the battery that’s at fault.

Although I do low mileage, my MX5 is still used on a regular basis. I’ll just have to see

what Mazda come back with.

Further to my posts about my MX5 battery, having contacted Mazda Customer Services this morning, I received the following

for information:

‘After asking the Mazda technical team I have required the information in regards to the vehicles battery. The warranty on a 12 volt vehicle battery is 3 years/60.000 miles whilst the vehicle is under the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty and if purchased outside of warranty the battery would have 3 years unlimited mileage warranty’

So the Mazda dealership I used miss informed me about the 2 year warranty, and this morning tried to charge me £110 for a new battery!

Having showed them what Mazda sent me they replaced the faulty battery under warranty with no charge , just as well I checked…

I imagine that was an OE spec Panasonic lead/acid battery, probably only available from a dealer(if you are lucky).

Most dealer guarantees are 12 - 24 months.

Most quality car batteries have a 36 - 60 month guarantee.

Well  done getting this replaced under guarantee but any idea why it failed?

Important to establish this to avoid a repeated episode.

Keep voltage above 12.3 volts at all times(conditioner charger likely required), ensure that parasitic current is not excessive, say 35ma on a MK3. Make sure that the battery is being charged sufficiently when engine running; a little under 14 volts on a MK3 I believe. 

When my son sold his 2007 Mk3 last year it was still on it’s original battery…did well I think.

EG

I would have thought the duff cell would be caused by the battery being constantly at a lower state of charge. The water leak into the passenger footwell that the OP was trying to get fixed a year ago may have caused some kind of parasitic drain from the wiring loom/fusebox in the passenger footwell. It would be worth checking that the drain on the battery when parked and locked is within normal limits or the new battery will go the same way as the last.