MX5 - NC - 2011 - Tyre Size Change

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC Miyako 1.8
  2. I’m based near: West Midlands
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Tyres Size Change

Hi I own a 1.8 Miyako edition and it comes with 205/45R17. I am thinking of fitting a 215/45R17. Will it fit perfectly on the rim or is there any cons by doing this on my car. Thanks

They’ll fit fine, I have them on my NC👌

You’ll probably get comments like, don’t forget to tell your insurance as it’s a mod👍

Apologies for a daft question but, wont the tyre be stretched out if I am fitting on the same wheel.

No problems - the stock wheels are 7Jx17 ET55

Industry recomendations are :
7.0 Inch rim - minimum tyre 195 mm - Ideal tyre sizes 205 or 215 mm

Great, thanks for the explanation.

To those who have fitted 215’s in the past, do they protect the rims better in avoiding the dreaded kerb rash?

Can’t say I have tried them out in that way but there is 5mm more tyre on the outside of the rim now so they should protect more.

That can only help! Would you be so kind as to post a photo if you get chance please? I am paranoid about scuffed alloys!

My 215’s on the current NC

Previous NC with the standard 205’s

I just think they sit better in the arch but with the dark alloys that car sits lower.

Thank you for posting the photos, very helpful. They do look as though they sit slightly prouder of the rim than the 205’s as expected. I imagine if you are unlucky enough to rub up against a kerb, you would get a bit more warning with the slightly wider tyres.

I’ve managed to steer clear of kerbing the alloys on both NC’s. In 9 years of driving my daily driver I also managed scuff free, then late last year scuffed them twice :-1:

Sickening isn’t it? My episode was in an underground car park in Trento where the approach to the entrance barrier narrowed and was angled awkwardly.