MX5 NC exhausts

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3 2.0L Z Sport
  2. I’m based near: Staffs
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Hi folks I’m after upgrading my exhaust, maybe just something subtle like just changing to a stainless back box, don’t want anything to over the top but something that has a little more grunt than the stock exhaust. Any links or advice would be great.

Thanks
George :+1:

2 Likes

I put a Gravity Performance back box on my NC1
Nice sound without droning.
Looks good.
Couldn’t resist the £169 sale price at the time.
images

Thanks for the recommendation dean, just had a check £195, certainly a good price, I will certainly take that into consideration now you’ve told me​:+1::+1:

I have the cobalt after reading many positive reviews on here. This is subtle and not in your face or ears.

Fitted a Malian S/S back box in october to my nc . Nice sound easy to fit . https://malianexhausts.com/product/mazda-mx5-mk3-1-8-or-2-0-catback-performance-sports-exhaust-system/

Hi, I know you mentioned back box but I’ve just replaced my manifold for the gravity 4-2-1, link below. Only really did this as I bought the car with an aftermarket sports cat which promptly turned to dust and blocked the mid pipe.

Only took about 3 hours to fit (for an amateur I was pleased!) and it’s made a huge difference to drivability even before I get it mapped to clear the engine management light.

Bought OEM gasket and new studs/nuts along with the gasket and springs/bolts for the mid pipe.

Sorry if there’s too much info but I couldn’t find any guides online about fitting the gravity 4-2-1. Also came with an alternator heat shield and didn’t have to modify anything to fit it.

Ali

They are on EBAY too.
They sent me a lower price offer after a few days - even during their sale.

1 Like

I’m looking at Cobalt or Cobra but this Gravity is far cheaper. did the sound change much compared to standard rear box? Mine is Mk 3.75.

I like the sound of it - The tone is deeper without droning.

It is a bit louder but deffo not annoying the neighbours loud.

Gravity Ordered. Delivery 1-2 days, hopefully fit at the weekend. will report back.

Take note of the positions of the 4 hangers - they are not all the same - make sure they go back on the same corners of the exhaust box.

Gravity box fitted this morning. So far just a bit of a louder deeper tone to it, will probably change after a while but certainly not really loud.
Unlike the exhaust I changed on my previous car, no sawing or drilling required to get the old one off so job done in an hour or so aided by smashing a 13mm impact socket onto the 14mm nuts.
The old box has done about 50,000 miles. If it can do anyone a turn let me know, will probably cost about a tenner to send on Fedex

Just another heads up, does anyone want my exhaust before I scrap it? Don’t want anything for it other than the cost of sending it.

Just wondering how you’re getting on with the Gravity box now it’s had a chance to bed in a bit.
I’m looking to change from stock and looking for sporty but not too loud (or expensive) so toss-up between Cobalt and Gravity for me, I think.

Ive probably only done about 100 miles since I fitted it. I had an MX5parts one on my previous car. Very boomy at 60+. The gravity is certainly louder than standard but not too loud so far. Might change with more mileage but overall i think its worth the money but i’ve never experienced a Cobalt so hard for me to judge really.

1 Like

I too am interested in the cobalt. I didn’t want a noisy boomy exhaust on this but would be interested in freeing up some sound without droning. One thing I’ve noticed when I see them for sale used, they seem to blacken and rust up quite bad. Are they truly 304 stainless as I’ve never had a 304 exhaust go like that in many years and many exhausts…

Very pleased with the IL backbox, no drooning, slash cut pipes, not too loud,and a nice burble

3 Likes

That’s something I noticed yesterday. The Moss website shows the cobalt as 200 ss whereas the gravity is 304.
Still shouldn’t rust though, I’d have thought.

Gravity box is £170 on Ebay now

Agreed about the gravity box

I have around 2000 miles on mine now.
It hasn’t changed much since it was fitted.
Louder than stock but no drone and deffo not ASBO loud.