MX5 Nc JR11 17 x 2.25 ET35 Wheel Fitment

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2006 1.8 NC
  2. I’m based near: __Tamworth
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Good wheel fitment

Hi All, Ive recently fitted JR11 17 x 7.25 ET35 to my NC. I was very disappointed with how “aggressive” the wheels are, the fronts in particular. I’ve got a set of coilovers ready to go on the car as I intend to track it. I’m quite concerned that the tyres are going to foul the bodywork once the coilovers are on. Has anyone out there used these wheels with a lowered MX5 NC? Ive currently got 225 x 45 rubber all around… I may try a lower profile and narrower tyre on the front but really wanted to keep everything balanced.

I was looking at buying 17x8 wheels just yesterday

The stock wheels have 55 mm offset where most aftermarket start around 48. I’m intending of using 225x45r17 (plenty of tyres) or 225x40 r17 (not so much to choose from)

I think with the offset you choose the wheels are too far out, you may compromise the way the suspension behaves anyway because of the offset position of the wheel and the moment arm thats created to transfer the tyre forces onto the suspension.

I think minimum you got to roll out the fender edges even you may have to roll the wing outwards

Thanks, it’s kind of what I was thinking. I made the mistake of buying the wheels suggested by the supplier-wheelbasealloys.com. I wasn’t counting on them providing such an aggressive off set. It looks terrible! God knows who decides for them. I’ve been in touch but as the rubber is on and the wheels are fitted I can’t return. Looks like I’ll have some shiny jr11’s up for grabs soon!

A 7.5" wide wheel 35 offset will rub with a 215 tyre on.
17 x 8 tend to be 35ET. 17 x 7.5 45ET with 215 tyres is where you want to be.

1 Like

Well, once the Meisters were fitted and set up I changed the tyres for 215’s and the wheels fit.

[quote=“wolrabeel, post:5, topic:128868, full:true”]
Well, one the Meisters were fitted and set up I changed the tyres for 215’s and the wheels fit.

[/quote]