MX5 NC Mk3 Boot Leak

I’m in the process of chasing two leaks on my 2008 NC Mk3 PRHT, one in the boot, and one in the cabin – but the boot first of all: -

I went to clear out the boot for winter at the weekend, and was greeted with a significant ‘run-off’ of water from the underside of the boot; I’ve NEVER had condensation in the boot previously, so it was an unpleasant surprise to say the least – I thought I’d stopped any potentials for leaks after having sealed the infamous windscreen scuttle grommets during the summer.

The boot carpet wasn’t particularly wet, apart from where the condensation had run off the underside of the boot from when I’d lifted it moments earlier.  No obvious leaks, so I stripped out plastic panels and carpet.  A quick search with torch did reveal a lot of condensation on the inside rear quarter, passenger side, and all around the fuel filler assembly… the image below shows condensation on the inside rear quarter… small spots in the photo are beads of condensation (apologies for the photos, they were the best I could get with mobile phone): -

But there was no obvious place for water to find its way into the boot!  Then, suddenly a drop of water landed in the boot, from right up on the underside, inside of the boot, near to hinge area… there’s a small glstening blob of water right between two small panels: -

I wasn’t expecting that… a leak THROUGH panel components… and from topside, in the boot-shut was this little puddle of water, right on the panel seam behind the hinge- mechanism: -

A quick dry, and liberal application of Fernox L-SX on the topside (BOTH sides of the boot) left over from scuttle grommet fix in the summer, and hopefully the leak will be fixed.  No evidence of leaks anywhere else, but I’m keeping the boot stripped out for a month to check.

These cars are confounding sometimes!

Did you check beneath the chrome panels on the rear deck? The bit where a hard top would attach, there is a hole in between the 2 bolts that is sealed by what looks like paint, if that leaked it would be in that general area.

Forget i said anything, not a soft top so you won;t have them. Nothing to see here!