MX5 ND passenger window not working

Thank you for the step by step guide, gave me the confidence to do this for myself over the weekend.

1 Like

I have found my motor works fine backwards and forwards. I had it all connected yesterday and window dropped as to open for roof. Reconnected today as to put it car properly window goes down but not up. If I disconnect the plug for the mirrors. The window will go up and down but it will not drop when opening the door. Not sure what is going on works fine 1 day but not next. I can only see that the switchbox is faulty in some way ie faulty relay or some thing. Have to see if can take switchbox apart tomorrow.

The passenger side window on my ND is not only slow to close but can actually stop before fully closing.
Am now reluctant to lower the hood lest the window not close.
Read a blog on cleaning out and lubricating window guides to cure a slow closing window on a a MARK 1NA MX5., but seems that may not be the solution for my ND window.

Good instruction on how to go about replacing the regulator, but not confident to do this myself, so replacing the regulator using a garage will likely prove expensive.
Is replacing the regulator definatley the answer, or is there anything else that I can be tried?

1 Like

Hi ET1,
My window did weird things like that before finally packing in and staying in the open position.
Could be your window guides , but my guess would be on the regulator and rusting/sticking frayed cables.
easy enough job to do if you are keen DIYer.
Its a time consuming job so a garage will be expensive.
Sorry l can’t be of any more help.

Use to do all my own work, home & car, but have become somewhat “kackhanded”, impatient and bad tempered in my old age.

Another somewhat deluded reason for seeking an unlikely alternative solution is that mx5parts, window regulators are out of stock and they appear only to be expecting restock of right side regulators. It’s the left hand one that is currently the problem.
Searched the internet and so far I only fin other sellers are also out of stock!

Bit of a dilemma really, especially if the window finally packs up and stays in the open position.
Thing is I don’t have a garage and the car is kept in the open on my driveway that is somewhat exposed to coastal weather conditions. Nothing between me but sea, Ailsa Craig and the and the faraway coast of Scotland.

When mine went about a month ago mx5 parts also had non in stock, I ordered them from my local dealer, 4 or 5 days delivery around £ 48 per side

Didn’t consider dealership since I thought that they would be way more expensive than mx5parts, but it appears not.
I take it your local dealership is on the mainland. (England. Scotland, Wales)

Southport

Often not, I just had a wheel replaced at Barnetts in Dundee and it was £115 + Vat for the wheel and arrived within 3 days, if it’s an OEM part I’d say always give the dealer parts dept a call.

1 Like

Rung dealership and Lo & Behold they are familiar with this problem on the ND. So familiar they keep a stock of regulators.
They believe that lessons should have been learnt from Renault and made the wire from Stainless steel.
Maybe that is why the part itself is not that expensive.

Anyway I can now get on fix it and wait on the driver side failing!

Hi, any chance of letting me have the dealership number as I need a regulator and they are currently rare! Many thanks