MX5 ND2 184 2019 Sport Nav+ B Road and track toy

Well I didn’t manage to get the ARB’s fitted in time for Blyton, but I did the whole day and my brakes are still blue and not blistered! So the scoops could be seen as a success I guess :slight_smile: doubt they did much as it was so hot on the day and I did find the limit of the M1144’s a lot quicker this time, than last.

4 Likes

Ooooooo I’ve really missed Blyton this year - summer isn’t summer without it!

Glad all went well :+1::+1:

1 Like

Can’t beat a Blyton day for a summer cheapy. Had the top up and ac on for the afternoon though I was getting absolutely scorched!

Got a bit carried away with the LED upgrades.

LED side markers, LED dynamic side repeaters, LED Front indicator bulbs, rear sequential LED strips for the Clusters and of course, the Paul Kent LED rear strip (already shown).

I’ll be visible from space when the darker evenings draw in.

LED markers were fairly straight forward on the rear - tapped into the Paul Kent loom for the strip with scotchlocks. Fronts aren’t that easy to identify so I’ve left them unconnected at the moment, but IL motorsports have very kindly sent me the wiring photos/instructions to tap into the sidelights (if anyone needs them drop me a message), again I’ll be using scotchlocks.

3 Likes

Blyton park was one I was looking forward to. Tight, twisty, technical track and it was a hot day. Certainly felt the brakes needed more management on this occasion, despite me fitting brake cooling scoops off a GT3 - think they did sod all to be honest. And it showed how much roll I have so these Eibach ARB’s should be a really good upgrade once I get them on. But it performed perfectly, so much fun. Only thing I miss from my old remapped ep3 was the top end extra grunt. So tempting to put some cams in this, but not sure it’s worth the extra cost and hassle.

5 Likes

Led side markers, sweeping dynamic rear led indicators, dynamic side repeaters and chrome wy21w front bulbs (didn’t like the led options)

2 Likes

This weekend’s job was to get the bumper off and remove the standard cold air feed and fit this ramair cold air tubing instead, as pictured (OEM in orange and Ramair one on yellow). The oem one sits behind the bumper plastic so isn’t really getting much cold air. This piping does the same thing as the BBR cold air feed kit which they sell for an eye watering £235!!
Was a bit fiddly with all the plastic clips and limited space but managed to get it all in and back together.

1 Like

Eibach ARB’s, IL motorsport adjustable drop links, paco motorsports front reinforcement brackets all fitted today. Took about 3 hrs (30 mins for rear).
Need a b road blast to test them out properly but there are plenty of roundabouts by me for the drive home
First impressions are they’re a massive improvement. So much more precise handling now and you’re able to throw it into a corner and not hang on for dear life. Put both on the softest setting for now. We’ll worth the faff and money to have these done.
The weight of the oem vs eibach is huge too, must be 4 x the weight of the oem bars. Oem front is hollow and the rear is like a straw.

2 Likes

Nice looking car …….taking the ram air from lower down on hot days might negate the effect of air temp cooling rising hot air from the tarmac …….but i get what your aiming to do……. :+1:

2 Likes

Got these today. 16 x 7j et37 oz alleggerita with 205/45/16 Rainsports.
Originally bought for my brother’s Twingo RS but I sneakily knew they’d fit the mx5 and clear the brembos. So took a punt on them. I absolutely love them! Super light too.

Will have them repainted Arctic white next year I think.

2 Likes

Why 16s not 17s? Any advantages? I have these in matte bronze on my Soul Red ND but they’re 17s.

16s will be lighter and also usually going down a wheel size aids handling characteristics.

I’ve already got 17s, these just came up and I know they’d fit both cars, they’re light, well made and clear brembos.

I’m curious to know if you notice much difference in ride or handling dropping down to the 16s. I’m tempted to go from 18s down to 17s on my Mini when I get round to modifying that.

1 Like

Years ago I had a Clio 172 which came standard on 16s, I changed to 17s and ran it like that for a number of years before switching back to a different set of 16s, the 16s rode and drove better in every way.

Similar situation with my type R civic. From 18s to 17s. Comfort, handling and steering felt better. I lose a bit of ride height with the 16s that’s it. I like both setups though to be honest.

1 Like

Loud(er) noises added

4 Likes

Anglesey 22nd Sept 2022

Started raining at precisely 9am, got heavier through til 1.30pm and calmed down a little. Finally stopping raining at 16.15 :joy:

Thankfully a friend convinced me to get the 16s balanced and fitted with the rainsport 3 tyres. So glad I did.

Was a very quiet/low numbers day and most folk turned up with semi slicks or best case, ps4s or equivalents.

Seemed only a handful of us could get any traction at all. Myself, a subaru impreza on ps5 tyres and some others.

A C63 AMG estate went home early as well as some Mk5 golfs.

Had a couple of pals with M2 comps and they were only able to go 25% at a guess, so I even managed to overtake a good few cars, ha.

Great day, keep forgetting how good a wet day can be if you have the suitable tyre.

Kept the TC on all day. Turned it off for the last half hour and took me 4 corners to do a full 360. Got better but a lot to learn with rwd still on track.

1 Like

If you’re bored. First few laps take a while to get going as no heat in tyres

5 Likes

Looks like fun, shame the weather wasn’t a little more kind.

Out of interest, what helmet do you have and how happy are you with it?

1 Like

I actually loved it. With rainsport tyres it was almost as good as a dry day.

The helmet is just a sparco club thingy from demon Tweeks. I had to go try it on in store cos I have a fat head. Does the job, I don’t like the open face ones.

1 Like