MX5 ND2 184 2019 Sport Nav+ B Road and track toy

In car vid with best lap

3 Likes

What happens when you’re still getting to grips with RWD and you turn the TC off, In the wet.

3 Likes

Are you still considering the 3.45 final drive swap?

I didn’t realise practically the whole bottom half of the car has to be disassembled to take the rear differential out:

That doesn’t even cover opening the factory differential.

I’m now starting to think the factory gear ratios are almost just right. I did have the occasional thought that the FN2’s were a bit too short despite saying they were perfect for UK roads earlier in this thread :zipper_mouth_face:

Preferably, I would like to leave the engine alone so that rules out remapping to fix the gear shift indicator. I may just focus on further handling modifications and lighter parts :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Nah im probs jusy gonna leave the car as is now. Maybe some Konis and different springs. Track tyres and a centre pipe.
Everything else is too much expense and faff for little gain

2 Likes

Wheels are pefect mate

3 Likes

Another track day at Oulton. This time with Track Obsession and in sub zero temps.

Didn’t do any prep or such, just rolled it out of the garage, filled it up with Tesco’s finest and off I went. Was very nervous about it as it was so cold and the roads getting there are grim. Also lots of salt on the roads now and it’s common knowledge that Mazda’s and wintry British roads are not BFF’s.

However, it was actually a really good day. Once the track had thawed/cleared up a bit towards the middle of the day, there was almost consistent grip. The Falkens did me proud again, considering they’re a one for all road tyre. Traction control was kept on the whole day and it earned it’s keep for sure.

Got the roof down in the afternoon. I looked a total helmet, but visibility is so much better with the roof down and feels less claustrophobic. With the windows up it stays warm in the cabin so didn’t notice it was -2 deg outside

4 Likes

Out of interest, what shade of blue are those front Brembos?

Had them redone in Lamborghini candy blue mate. White brembo stencils.

2 Likes

:+1: Funny how some colours draw you in. I stopped in a car park yesterday to look at some deep red calipers, not on a Porsche but a Kia GT!

2 Likes

Decent day at Donington today. First time I’d done the GP layout and I have to say I prefer it.
Tuition helped a lot and also a couple of mates with the tools, to see why my rear brakes were screeching. My pads were a little on the low side ha. Ripped the wear indicator off and put them back in to get me through the Pm. Will need to replace these ASAP - not sure whether to splurge £100 on track focused rears or just OEM. It’s the (annoying but life saving) TC that’s killing them. The TC would come on all the time down craner’s curves and I wasn’t even on throttle.

This year I think I’d like to put some more track focused semi slicks on too.

4 Likes

Get that DSC turned off when on track dude… :+1:t2:

1 Like

Good deal on at the moment for EBC yellow stuff pads at Moss, if anyone’s after some (mk3 and Mk4 rears).

Got myself some but not had time this weekend to put them in yet. I know EBC get a weird rap on the interwebz, but for the price I have to try them out.

1 Like

I’ve had no problems with EBC pads!

Yeah you said you use the redstuff?

People on the Web whinge about em, but they can’t be that bad is they’re still selling a load of them! Unless they’re a front for some dodgy drugs gang or summat :joy:

I’ve used Redstuff on a previous car and fitted them on the rear of the 5, no problems even zipping round a track and a nice balance to the Wilwood BP20 up front.

The reason it’s ripping back pads apart it the Mazda stability control.

BE VERY CAREFUL

This is what destroyed my first & second cars….

At speed in the dry it will try to do the same thing when the car moves around….with expensive consequences

1 Like

So just keep it turned off??

Spare me the details I’ll only panic :joy:

It was so intrusive, you can see it in my video flashing up a lot on the dash.

3 Likes

Full blown mechanic, me. Pad swap today, reckon I got my moneys worth out of 2 of them.
Next track day the dsc will be getting turned off if dry. The inside pads were goosed.
See how these yellowstuff get on.
Quick wash too to get rid of all the brake dust and rubber splatters.

3 Likes

Removed the open cone too. Needed some money for track days :joy:
Cold air feed from bumper now goes directly into the bottom of the airbox.
K and n panel filter is in there too. Do feel like the throttle response is slightly better with the oem.

3 Likes

That’s interesting as i found the Throttle response slightly better with the ProRam… Either way i think we can agree it doesn’t make a lot of difference :rofl:

2 Likes