MX5 ND2 or will there be ND3?

I want to buy a ND RF (Auto) with the 184 HP engine. Main dealers are expensive for recent models so thinking of ordering a new one from UK car discounts.

Anyway - what’s stopping me is the thought that the final ND facelift might be out soon. It could have improvements like adaptive cruise control, larger than 7" screen and other things that people expect from a modern car.

I can’t believe the current ND2 model does not have android auto enabled as standard. The mooted EV version is at least two years away (and I would never want one), so I want the best/last edition of the ICE engine MX5 before driving is ruined by the net zero zealots.

Car makers will be fined £15k for every EV they don’t sell under the 22% EV quota in 2024 - this will result in deliberate shortage of ICE cars, and they will favour selling massive/pricey ones over relatively cheap ones.

Any views - buy new now? Wait for MY 24? Buy used 2019 model?

I think you will find adaptive cruse control far more responsible for ruining driving than any ire you can pour on the above.

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath on a new model. You’re missing out on summer top down motoring, just buy one !

1 Like

A new one would not arrive for months - plus I do have a NC2 RC now.

I want to upgrade to a ND but I don’t want to buy one just before it’s improved.

I have a NC2 with fixed cruise control - which is completely useless. I have another car with adaptive cruise control and it’s pretty useful on long motorway trips.

2 Likes

Our “other car” has adaptive cruise control, and I would not buy another car without it now…it’s absolutely brill!!..

1 Like

One of the biggest causes of dumbing down of driving standards, queues of comatose “drivers” playing follow my leader at 55mm in the middle lane. Try driving a commercial vehicle or towing a trailer and see how great the contribution to driving it has made!
Dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. :woozy_face:

1 Like
3 Likes

Hilarious! However I do find that adaptive cruise control is great for when I am doing my eye make up in the rear view mirror or texting on my mobile phone.

I found adaptive cruise a complete PITA.
Even when set to the shortest allowable distance it would slow down way too early for a car in front of you and force you to pull out too early.
The constant slowing down and speeding up used more fuel than regular cruise control.

With regular cruise control I could plan overtakes ( without pulling out too early ) and generally make better progress.

…each to their own…I love it and would not be without it now…

Even better in our Volvo, it steers itself as well, so absolutely no need to keep even one eye on the road ahead. I find it most useful when looking at the scenery on our trips to Scotland, obviously not ideal when trying to adjust the focus on the binoculars with one hand. Rather annoyingly it insists you have some physical contact with the steering wheel, any suggestions welcome!!!
:heart:

1 Like

Well you could always put your feet on the steering wheel or get your wife/partner to steer from the front passenger seat.

On a similar note, we have just come back from shopping when we met our next door neighbour who’s car had been written off. Apparantly she was sat in a queue at some lights when the car two cars behind her was shunted from behind wrecking all four cars in the queue. The driver had been on her mobile phone at the time. If a pedestrian had been crossing the road between the cars they would have been seriously injured if not killed. That makes me think that a really useful aid for safety would be a camera that can tell when the driver is looking down at their lap while a mobile phone is being used. The camera for driver alertness could be used but in this case instead of warning the driver it should stop the car, lock all the doors and alert the police. Either that or shoot them between the eyes!

…removing the steering wheel airbag and replacing it with a spike might help??

2 Likes

Just use the speed increase or decrease buttons, using an actual (intelligent) human brain is far better than the electronic one that has no risk assessment ability.

Doesn’t matter what speed you set with ACC - if it sees a perceived obstacle it slows down.
And once it starts to slow down - adjusting the speed will do nothing.

That is why I prefer regular cruise control and my own observations to maintain speed.

Manual cruise means constant adjustment of the speed setting. It’s basically useless in SE England as too many cars around.

Adaptive will resume your preferred speed once there is clearance to do so. You don’t have to do anything but steer.

I was on about “normal” cruse control. You said ACC is a right pain, which it absolutely is.

You can however play the Moronic Motorist Madness game. When you are in the inside lane and you see the typical ACC driver approaching in the middle lane totally oblivious to the need for you to pull out to pass a slower vehicle, which are easy to spot by the glazed look on their face and the dribble emanating from the corner of their mouth, just pull into their controlled space and their automatic braking wake them up as they disappear into the distance behind. It is such a relaxing way to drive!

1 Like

If the Motorway is fairly quite I love the ACC on my Type R (FK8) works beautifully.
Dont need it on my BBR 220 ND2 30AE, as I avoid motorways & look for twisty roads!